Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm pretty sure I will be buying a 2003 Wrangler this sunday, it is lightly modded with all quality parts except the lift... it has a 4 inch rough country lift and I am wondering if I should be able to switch it with the 4.25 inch zone combo which i've read tons of good stuff about and want.
-----James

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
There is no reason why you couldn't. You would need some front and rear stock lower control arms (which will be far superior to the fixed aftermarket arms in the RC lift) Those are available at rockauto.com for less than $25 each with the bushings already in them.

If you're buying from a private party, ask them if they still have the stock arms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response, I definitely want to switch it back after the horrible reviews i've read about RC lift. I will definitely ask him if he has them.
-----James

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
"If" the TJ happens to come with a SYE/CV, I wouldn't be too concerned about yanking out R/C kit right away. I would first focus on upgrading the shocks, so that you get a comfortable ride. Then I would focus on getting quality control arms with Johhny Joints or Duroflex joints. Then I would get some quality 4" springs from Currie.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Not a fan of RC lifts but in this case, wait and see how it performs once you own and drive the Jeep to see if there are any issues.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yes you can. I went from a RC lift with some other "quality" parts and it was a nightmare to undo. Exactly what has been done to the Jeep? If they have done any cutting and welding--run--run -run Forest run!!!!!!

RC lifts are as best I can say, the one on my Jeep was total junk. My dipsxxxxt PO had also installed a TF High Steer which some might consider a quality part and it was, thing is, it simply does not work. To do this he cut off the sway bar brackets on the front axle, welded some high steer sway bar brackets to the C arms, removed the steering stabilizer braket from the axle and relocated the track bar mount. From this cluster:

Now I actually have a quality part that works, Currie, but it was not a simple unbolt this and bolt this in:

In the end some of the PO mods that gave me a heart attack turned out benificial, I can even flip my driver side TRE when I get around to it, should have but I did not know the significane of that. But my point is that unless this Jeep is a real mint mall baby, and mine pretty much was, you do not want to purchase a modded Jeep and certainly do not pay extra for the junk parts that you will have to remove.

One thing though, I was going to lift my Jeep no matter, so had I bought a stock Jeep I would have thrown away all the removed parts. But, I was able to sell all of my removed parts to the local teenager population and recoup some of the money. And yes, I told them the parts were junk and they bought them anyways. All of the Chinese Paramount Restyling and ET China junk, the TF HS and all of the RC lift and arms and springs found happy new homes in other Jeeps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts