Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my jeep for just over two months and finally got to the weekend warrior use. My wife told me I should go for a hike (trail head access is why I need a jeep) so I picked the super easy 1.3 mile sugarloaf mountain trail because it had open jeep trails around it and that's what I really wanted to do with my day off.

I read some reports that Switzerland trail was being run so I thought it would be a good starter trail for me. Turns out it was an awesome starter trail, and much more of a challenge than I was expecting because of all the snow.

I started from the peak to peak highway north of Nederland. At first I was a little disappointed because I didn't think I would even need 4x4 (and in the summer I probably wouldn't) but 10 more minutes and I needed the winch. All of the north facing slopes are still snow covered which presented some unexpected obsticals. I needed to winch two times. The first, I got my wheels off the main track, my speed dropped, and I sunk in. The second time I high centered on a snow drift in the middle of the trail, see picture. I might have been able skirt around it but not without risking a gash in my vinyl windows so I took the high road!

ForumRunner_20160306_203232.jpg

The third time (it was quite unnecessary) I ran into a couple of wheelers on a side trail trying to make it to the top of a hill. It looked like fun so I stopped to join them. After they failed a few attempts I tried and failed but I had winch so they helped me tether up and get to the top!

All that fun was between the peak to peak highway and sugarloaf. The traffic was considerable around sugarloaf as it's very easy access.

I took my 30 min walk up sugarloaf then continued on Switzerland trail heading to four mile canyon road. In this direction it's pretty much all down hill, on a north slope, so there was lots of snow but heavier traffic kept a solid track. I thought it was quite manageable. I past a Lexus suv coming up the trail (fish tailing like a mad man) but it couldn't be that hard in a jeep. I turned off at the bottom of the valley and took four mile canyon out.

ForumRunner_20160306_203133.jpg

I plan to go back this summer and run the all the way to gold hill. It's a great place to get your feet wet for new jeepers. It's very beautiful, close proximity to the metro area and a few side trails to try things out. (but maybe wait another month for the snow melt)

Anyway, sorry for being so wordy. I had a great time and can't wait for more!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts