Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I finished the install of radio power, and the antenna. (CB mount still in route)

Power wired directly to battery (both + and-)
Ohm meter shows everything grounded properly
SWR hooked up correctly

Drove up on top a hill with nothing around. Turned on the radio and did a standard swr check.
ch 1 needle smack on 1.0
ch 40 2.7
Im thinking hmmm.....not bad
odd part is I ended up lengthening the antenna roughly 1/4" - 3/8" in small adjustments each time always checking.
ch 1 never moved off 1.0
ch 40 would not get any better then 1.3/1.4
does this sound normal? Could the radios "built in swr adjustment have anything to do with ch 1 reading not moving?
does built in adjuster change or influence swr in any way?

Im sitting here thinking I got it set right, but the fact ch 1 never moved has me wondering.

Cobra 29 LX LCD
Firestik 4' with quick disconnect
Firestik FireRing CB Coax - 18':nonono:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
SWR of 1 is pretty good, sounds lke you have it set up alright. If i'm not mistaken adjusting the antenna length will have a more drastic effect on 40 than one so that isn't unusual. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will confirm or deny this for you.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
1.0 is perfect the 1.3-1.4 is good. I have 1.2 average on mine. You sound like you are good to go!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Tune it for the lowest setting on ch 20, that will deliver the best full spectrum swr (1-40). Anything under 2 is winning.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I'm new to the cb and believe I have everything I need. How do I go about tuning the swr and what is that exactly?
Your SWR Meter you purchased should have come with instructions on how to read your SWR. It stands for Standing Wave Ratio or basically how much of the signal is being reflected back to the radio. You want to aim for 1:1 swr but anything below 2 is good. I have 1.1-1.3 on all channels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out wheeling with a local group and radio worked like a charm......thanks for the input folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts