Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ordered a Rugged Ridge SYE kit and have a question on what kind of drive shaft to get. I have a 4 inch RC short arm lift and a dana 35. I was going to get a CV drive shave but I am planning on upgrading to a ford 8.8 sometime within the next year or less and don't know if that drive shaft would work with that differential. I also plan on adding a 1 inch body lift on within the next year as well. A guy at work suggested getting my drive shaft now customized at a place he knows that does that kind of work. If I got a CV drive shaft would I have to get a different drive shaft when I put on a 8.8? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
So I just ordered a Rugged Ridge SYE kit and have a question on what kind of drive shaft to get. I have a 4 inch RC short arm lift and a dana 35. I was going to get a CV drive shave but I am planning on upgrading to a ford 8.8 sometime within the next year or less and don't know if that drive shaft would work with that differential. I also plan on adding a 1 inch body lift on within the next year as well. A guy at work suggested getting my drive shaft now customized at a place he knows that does that kind of work. If I got a CV drive shaft would I have to get a different drive shaft when I put on a 8.8? Any suggestions?
When you install the SYE you will need a DC (double cardan) shaft. You will also need adjustable rear upper control arms to set pinion angle and possibly an angled track bar.
If you install these now then upgrade to an 8.8 later the shop that built the shaft should be able to modify it for a nominal fee. The body lift will not effect your drive line at all.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
You can use the same shaft with the 8.8 and turdy five

"When your stupid, your whole body suffers"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the rear adjustable upper control arms absolutly necessary? Also, once I get my Sye and cv drive shaft on can I take my transfer case drop off?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Are the rear adjustable upper control arms absolutly necessary? Also, once I get my Sye and cv drive shaft on can I take my transfer case drop off?
Yes you get rid of the TC drop . And yes you need to be able to Adjust the angle of the axle . You need to put your skid plate back to the frame with your SYE on and then take a measurement for your DS
GL

·
Registered
340 Posts
I tend to disagree. I've got the 4" RC short arm kit and have not needed the rear adjustable control arms. I will get them when I upgrade to the long arm kit, but I've been running this lift for over a year with 0 issues..

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
I tend to disagree. I've got the 4" RC short arm kit and have not needed the rear adjustable control arms. I will get them when I upgrade to the long arm kit, but I've been running this lift for over a year with 0 issues..
But are you running a TC drop or SYE with DC shaft?

·
Registered
340 Posts
it's not. And it's not causing any problems.. I've put around 20k miles on it since upgrading and everything is still in great shape. But like I said. I'm upgrading soon to the long arm kit and that will also ensure I will not have any problems later on..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts