Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok: I have ordered my sye conv kit.

Now do I have too take the T-case out of the jeep?

Can I just remove the slip yoke housing and the housing between the slip yoke and the T-case, so I can install the SYE?

Or do I have to split the T-case in two while it is still attached to the transmision?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Drop it out, It will save you alot of time in the long run...

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
You can leave it in, but so much easier to remove it.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I disagree with these boys. I've done plenty of them both ways and I think it's easier to leave the case in and just remove what you need. Yes you will need to break the case in half, but everything is reachable with out having to un hook all of the linkage and remove/reinstall the whole case.

All you need is a good set of snap ring pliers and some patience. They aren't hard and get easier everytime you do one. I can do them start to finish now in about 1.5 to 2 hours.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I disagree with these boys..
Hey your already disagreed with me twice this month..so no more after this one...LOL ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sye conv.

I disagree with these boys. I've done plenty of them both ways and I think it's easier to leave the case in and just remove what you need. Yes you will need to break the case in half, but everything is reachable with out having to un hook all of the linkage and remove/reinstall the whole case.

All you need is a good set of snap ring pliers and some patience. They aren't hard and get easier everytime you do one. I can do them start to finish now in about 1.5 to 2 hours.
Thanks Jack: At least you gave me reson to think I can realy do this.

I believe the shaft coming out of the T-case is bent, because when I tried to put the slip yoke back in there was a lot of resistance.

I also thank you-all for your coments.

And to everyone who thinks that a 4" lift has no effect on the drive shaft, this one did, there was only 1/2" of the slip yoke that was inside the slip yoke housing when it tore lose and craked the housing. It also destroyed the muffler, and broke the gas line when it came lose.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have done a SYE before and iMOP the first one you should really take the t-case out.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Hey your already disagreed with me twice this month..so no more after this one...LOL ;)
Sorry boss.....I won't disagree with you for the rest of the year. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts