Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To get the correct length cv or cardan driveshaft after doing the sye do I need to take any measurements? I thought it had to be measured but I see in Quadratec they have a Tom Wood's driveshaft that says fits from 2-6in of lift?
Also how does putting the slip part of the driveshaft after the yoke instead of before it make vibes go away? Thanks again

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Call Tom Woods. The one size fits all is not always the best way to go. Get it made for your specific lift and SYE. Some SYEs are longer than other etc.

The slip yoke eliminator just changes the slip part from the back of the transfer case to the middle of the new drive shaft. The stock drive shaft joint that goes into your transfer case has a single u-joint. The new drive shaft from Tom will have two u-joints at that joint. This makes it possible to have a larger angle without vibrations.

I just found out that I only live about an hour from his shop so when I get a new drive shaft I will go pick it up in person to meet the famous Tom.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It's not the fact that the slip has been moved that makes the vibes go away. Moving the slip to the driveshaft rather than the t case allows us to shorten our output shaft giving us a longer drive shaft, working at less of an angle which brings the ujoint back into it's operating range. Also the style of the drive shaft (double cardon) is capable of working at steeper angles compared to a single cardon at the t case side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts