Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang, I installed my SYE kit and CV shaft from Adams today. All went good, install went fairly easy. Now I have a new problem. I am pretty sure my front end is not locking in. My T case is shifting fine, but I am pretty sure my front end actuator has stopped working. I ran out of daylight, and will double check in the a.m. to make sure the vacuum lines didn't just come un plugged, but I dont think they did.

I did read on the kit that in some NP231, the vacuum switch is in the tail piece that gets replaced and this causes one to have to run a manual cable actuator or put in a solid front axle. Now, I didn't have a vacuum switch in my rear section, it pluggs into the front half of the T case. I didn't see anything in the rear section that seemed to be for the vacuum locking system.

So, any suggestions on where to start. Don't want to tear back into that thing, and like I said, will check the vacuum lines to make sure they are not unplugged in the am. Just didn't know where to start and wanted to lean on some experience in here.

I am not opposed to putting in the manual cable lock, but for now would rather not. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, my drive shaft is a C.V. shaft. After I bolted it up, I only have about a half of an inch pulled out of the slip joint in the shaft. It is not bottomed out when bolted in, but certainly not much room for it to collaps/shorten if my suspention is loaded. Is this normal or should this thing be pulled farther out than this? I don't think my suspention would flex enough to botom out the shaft, but wsa not sure, and figured I would ask.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeah, look at the lines in the morning, you should find the issue. I think those old plastic lines are a real pain, they break so easy after all these years.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
also you can pin the shift fork in the 4wd position with some washers and by pass the lines so to speak.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You dont even need washers you can use the c clip thats in the axle in the front all you have to do it remove the clip move the 4wd fork over and put the clip back in it works great! and it get rid of thoes god awful lines its worth the time to do it!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure I will figure it out. Will probably get a cable lock sometime in the near future. Not sure I want my front end locked up all the time, can't be good for the gears. Or is it? I found several places where I can get a solid axle, but just didn't think it was a very good idea to have it rolling around locked. Does that really make a difference? Anyway, I don't use the 4wd very often so I am in no rush to fix it. Just was wondering if it had something to do with the SYE I installed. I wrote to Adams to get their take on it, we shall see. Thanks for the impute. Also, any impute on the CV shaft? didn't know how much it needed to be able to collapse. I can't imagine very much, after all the slip yoke couldn't have traveled that much.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
It is a common swap to install a TJ front axle shaft into the passenger side of the Dana30, which will eliminate the vacuum problems. The downside to this swap is the stock front driveshaft for a YJ didnt come from the factory balanced.

You can either get a new balanced shaft from a company like Tom Woods, or take yours to a driveshaft shop and have it balanced.

The TJ's that run a solid shaft in the passenger side as well as the ones that have a Dana44 front end, run a CV joint front shaft.

As far as the rear CV shaft, I just put a new Tom Woods shaft on my YJ and it has about 3/4" of the splines showing So maybe a total collapse length of about an inch. The only way you will have a problem is under extreme compression, such as severely overloading the rear suspension like towing a trailer that is too heavy or taking the Jeep off of a jump. Stay away from the extreme compression and the shaft should work fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool. I appreciate it. I guess the need for the front drive shaft to be balanced is cause it would be spinning all the time with the front locked? Seems to make sense. If i go that rout, i will have my local shop balance it for me. Would have never thought of that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was just reading through old posts and saw this one. Found the problem, felt stupid, was simply the vacume line feeding the system fron the engine came loose... Felt like an idiot. I also wound up locking my front end with an Aussie, so the drive shaft started turning and you guys were right, that thing was no where near balanced, so I took it to a driveline place and had them fix er up. Thanks for the imput.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts