Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 2002 TJ with a 4 inch lift. I did a transfer case drop when I installed the lift. Everything works fine, but now I have some money for a SYE kit and new driveshaft. What do I need to know before purchasing such as other required mods?

I know the pinion angle on the rear needs to be adjusted. I have adjustable lca. Can I get the correct angle with with the lca or do I have to have adjustable uca also? Someone mentioned that I need adjustable uppers. Wasn't sure if that was correct or if there was anything else that I wasn't aware of.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
You need uppers so you can rotate you differential up.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
X2, just get a pair of adjustable length upper-rear control arms that can be used to set the pinion angle where it needs to be. The advantage of lengthening the upper arms to raise the pinion angle is that that also rolls the axle back some which restores some of the wheelbase lost caused by installing the suspension lift. Adjusting the pinion angle with lower arms would further shorten the already shorter wheelbase. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That does make sense now. Is there anything else I'll need or have to modify?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Get a super short SYE. I got my from Tom Woods when I was talking to them about DS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The angled track bar relocation bracket is needed, but I had to also get an adjustable rear tack bar, not so much for the adjustable length, but because the angled bracket was not on the same plane as the frame mount after i got the pinion angle in line with the driveshaft angle. An adjustable track bar will accommodate the difference in that angle.

If you get the super short SYE, you can also do a tummy tuck any time in the future, but you will also need a speedo healer because the super short SYE has a tone ring instead of a speedo gear.

After tilting the pinion angle up, you may find that the shocks collide with the lower spring perch. Depending on your shocks, you may be able to install them up-side-down so that they clear, or do some grinding on the spring perch so that the shock body does not hit. (or do both)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is getting more expensive by the minute. Thanks for all the info. This isn't going to be as simple as I thought.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If you don't have a set of lock ring pliers, I highly recommend getting one. It is the difference between 3 minutes vs. 20 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts