Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first question to all the experts on this board, I'm sure there will be plenty more!

I bought my TJ four months ago as it sits, 4" lift, 33" general grabber red letters, pretty nicely set up!
A few weeks ago I developed a leak from the rear output shaft of the transfer case. I picked up a new seal from the local auto parts shop and of course once I pulled the driveshaft it was apparent that I have a different seal. I've been unable to find a replacement seal at a couple parts stores, this is where I hope you all can help. Here are some pics of the transfer case. Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
National Seal 3946 for SYE fothe 231J case.... looks like you have a flange yoke on the t-case.... is this a Rubicon? Or is this the old style 'Hack n Tap' SYE?

Could be the angle of the pic.. but your pinion angle looks WAY too high....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the part number, that helps a ton. I hate oil leaks with a passion!!! Here is another pic of the pinion angle. I do have some vibrations at highway speed. Kinda surprised since it has a sye and TC drop. Any tips on pinion adjustment would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
it's best to get a pic by being right in the wheelwell and taking a pic across the Jeep... you get a better view that way. Try to position the pinion yoke at 6-12 o-clock as well.

FYI.... your pinion needs to be 1-2 degrees BELOW the angle of the driveline. NO more than that... this takes up for torquing up the pinion at the get-go. ideally it should be a 0 degrees, but 1-2 degrees below keep the joint caps at least moving.

Read up on it here.... http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

·
Registered
844 Posts
I do have some vibrations at highway speed. Kinda surprised since it has a sye and TC drop. Any tips on pinion adjustment would be great.
What year is it? I have a 2003 Rubicon, 4.5" lift, 33" x 12.5" Cepek Crushers...and recently ran into the same problem with the vibrations at highway speed. Swapped the spare onto the front passenger side, got rid of some of it-so I figured it was time to get to the shop.:facepalm: Had them check it out-was WAY out of alignment, and all 5 tires were wicked out of balance.:whistling:
Biggest problem was the last time it was balanced an idiot used 'stick on' weights and some had been peeled off in the back country. So they are now all the 'clamp on' type and it handles nicely up to 65 on the highway.
I also FINALLY got someone that knew what they were doing to COMPLETELY grease everything with a fitting...and all the squeaks and squeals disappeared. I had though it was time for another set of U joints...:doh:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Another thing I noticed after you mentioned it...

you have the SYE AND a T-case drop... The reason is most likely the PO didn't invest in adjustable control arms for the rear to adjust the pinion angle. You will need to address your rear track bar bracket on the axle if you don't have an adjustable track bar as well.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's a bad pic, but it looks as if your pinion might be a bit high. As it's been mentioned, you want your pinion in-line with your drive shaft, possibly a bit below. Before you delve too deep into this, read up on why you have an SYE/CV shaft, how they work, and how things need to be adjusted. That's the only way you'll truly understand what's going on and how to fix it. It's very simple, you just have some reading to do.

Here is a good place to start:

What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - JeepForum.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts