Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced this symptom - HAZARDS ONLY WORK WITH IGNITION ON?

What was your solution?

-MFS works will all the other functions, including directionals
-MFS connector is brand new - thus no shorts
-Fuses OK
-Front / Rear lighting system operational
-Yes, hazards work with ignition on but NOT off!

My guess is the part of the flasher relay that handles the hazards is shut.

Opinions?

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
45 Posts
By chance who did the replacement connector, possible crossed wire? From all time hot to only when key on? I was looking at that nasty dragon when I replaced my switch a few weeks ago. Connector is coming apart from age and heat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Blade,

I replaced the connector. I checked once, twice, three times but anything is possible. I'll check it again after the New Year's but, I doubt that it is a crossed wire.

Though, it is the relay - flasher that transmits the continuous current to the hazards; that function could be gone.

Best,

PS: Yes, the connector was disintegrating and was effecting the low beam function. That is now fixed after the replacement

·
Registered
314 Posts
you have 2004 TJ? Get the factory manual pin-out diagram and double check every wire at the switch connector. Sounds like the 12v+ un-switched supply but may also be the leads to the hazard switch.

Reactions: Ace High Benny

·
Registered
45 Posts
With a Jeep they probably swapped the order of a few wires just to be different each model year or package. 😉
By the way how much did the replacement connector cost? I'd like to get one bare with out the wires but so far I've only seen with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Issue solved!

There are 2 very similar wires going into the connector:

-Wire 11 (lower row far end towards passenger side) controls the Hazards and it is BLACK & WHITE
-Wire 3 (upper row, 3rd from the passenger side) is a fused Ignition On wire and it is BLACK & GREY

These wires were switched!

Now, with age, these 2 wires will become very similar in color. However, 11 is 18G and 3 is 20G. The thickness is obvious.

So, don't make the same mistake I made and mark any similar color wires the way you will recognize them.

Now, after the correction, the hazards are operational with ignition off as they should be!

FYI,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts