Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Mobil One in my new JK Rubicon
I was planning on changing every 4000 Miles
I live in the city and work from Home - so drive mostly for pleasure but I do not put a lot of miles on unless I take a big trip. DO I really need to change the synthetic oil every 3 months regardless of mileage like the dealer is recommending?

I am planning on a 1000 mile + trip in a couple of weeks into Pennsylvania so it would not hurt?

·
Registered
166 Posts
2012 says every 8000 miles and they recommend Synthetic. 4000 miles and your throwing money away. Just make sure you checkl your levels and keep a qt in the jeep in case you need it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jeeps tend to burn oil so just make sure ur oil level is ok and ull be set. Every 3 months is just a waste of money in my opinion.

·
Banned
764 Posts
I use M1 in all my vehicles. Pickups, SUVs, and the JK wrangler. I change the oil every 5K on the 5K as close as possible. And a vette which I almost forgot about. I never consider time on a oil service job. One ford truck was 2 years old before the first 5K oil change came up. It's been 2 years since I change the vettes oil and it has only about 2500 miles on the change so it will have to wait. Never have any oil related engine problems at all. The jeep will be a year old in 2 weeks and has had 3 oil changes, it's at 17k now and will get another at 20K. Some times when the kids were off to collage their vehicles migh see 6 or 7K before service. But with Mobil 1 this has never been a problem. The 3 month BS was started by the oil change guys. They say 3k or three months on their reminders they put in your vehicle. It's just another boat payment for them. I also replace the air filters at every 5K service, no matter what it looks like. Leased a new ford expedition in 03 and only change the oil with regular penzoil at 12K, 24K and gave it back at 36K with no oil change then. 2 oil changes in 36K and it looked and ran like new, and somebody paid top dollar for it and went on their Mary way! So you will be fine with M1 no matter the time between 5K oil changes. Dealers would do their own mother to make a buck!

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
2012 says every 8000 miles and they recommend Synthetic. 4000 miles and your throwing money away. Just make sure you checkl your levels and keep a qt in the jeep in case you need it.
Read it again. It says do not exceed 8000 miles. It doesn't say wait until 8000 miles.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Read it again. It says do not exceed 8000 miles. It doesn't say wait until 8000 miles.
X2
Keep in mind that carbon build up and other foreign materials can contaminate oil regardless of oil breakdown. 8000 miles seems excessive, I usually do my changes around 5000 miles unless I have been doing offroading, then 3000K it is. I believe the manual does have guidelines for offroad or heavy duty use for oil changes and maintenance checks, I am just too lazy to go look outside because it is freezing!

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I chg my engine oil (Mob1),filter (K&N gold 1002) and grease zirks-generally on my Birthday-once a year--

That usually relates to 3000/5000 miles-(off-road)

Copasetic-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I typically do every 5k on the 5k. So my next change on the jeep will be 130k, and for my truck it will be 160k...

·
Registered
18 Posts
FYI and FWIW --- Would love to know "What" the SENSOR "senses" to Trigger the light and what Miles Difference it determines for Syn Vs. Dino....

Sahara U Manual Pg 562
:

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” message is displayed.
Depending on operating conditions, the message may appear as early as 3,500 miles (5630 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

Reactions: cmlegend

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use Mob 1 and plan on changing at 6,000 to reach a happy medium.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This group clearly has a better sense of reason than most! In general, we have to get away from this 3k/3month nonsense. If you want some oil education, this guy has a lot of it. Certainly an interesting real;
Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
kozmos said:
This group clearly has a better sense of reason than most! In general, we have to get away from this 3k/3month nonsense. If you want some oil education, this guy has a lot of it. Certainly an interesting real;
Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy
It's not nonsense. It all depends on usage. Mine gets driven hard and I change it every 3k.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine gets change every 5000 kms at the dealership...does all that extra stuff have to be done(battery service,wheel alignment) for the warranty?Cause that shit is big $ at Chrysler.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts