Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I realize this subject has been discussed in other forums, but truly, it was overwhelming to understand. OK...I am 73 years old and bought my first Jeep 5 years ago. It is a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited X, 2WD, with approx 68,000 miles on him (Scooby Jeep). He had about 57,000 miles when purchased. This is my last ride, folks and I want to take good care of him. So far, I have had new tires, total brake redo, entire cooling system replaced (stuff behind dashboard), shifter cable replaced, upper and lower radiator hoses replaced, valve cover gasket replaced, front and rear crankshaft seals replaced, complete transmission overhaul, two rear ABS speed sensors replaced, and regular oil changes, battery, etc.
The last time the oil was changed, they recommended synthetic oil, but I decided not to do it. Now, it's time for oil change and I am totally ignorant about synthetic oil. My son told me that once I switch, I could not go back to regular oil, and suggested I research, so here I am.
Any suggestions or explanations (a,b,c) are welcomed.
Thanks a bunch!!
Valerie

Registered
It appears you have been a very good Jeep Owner.馃槆. Regular Oil is serving you well and if you do not intend to extend the interval or miles between changes - or change your off road trips - I would keep doing what works following your maintenance schedule & not exceeding the intervals. I would suggest going with oil engineered for higher mileage vehicles either Dino (regular oil) or Synthetic.

Registered
Personally I would switch to full synthetic and extend the interval. As for not being able to go back to regular oil, that is a myth. You can switch back and forth at will. Some oils are a synthetic 鈥渂lend鈥 after all.

Registered
Most oils are technically synthetic now anyway, but running an inexpensive oil for 5000 miles will never be a problem. If you go synthetic, I鈥檇 not go more than 7500 miles.

I really like Valvoline Maxlife myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts