Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Waste of money. Good dino oil and recommended oci is fine. with an old 3.8 you may find yourself putting a lot of oil in between changes and that will make the syn that much more expensive.

·
Retired Moderator
100,527 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Just pick one that Chrysler/Jeep recommends for use in their engines.
Find a medium priced one, that won't break the bank, and go for it. There aren't any bad ones.........:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
I swear by synthetic oil, especially in the winter. MUCH easier cold starts.

When I was offroading my GC Overland, I used Amsoil engine and gear oil. Their synthetic gear oil, with the proper additive, did wonder to remove the chatter from the limited-slip diffs.

For the engine, Mobil 1 is great.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Big name brands are all good. With the typical oil burning 3.8Ls after 2005, you will be adding oil every 2000 miles or so. You might want to use conventional with say a 6,000 mile oil change interval.

My choice these days is Valvoline Premium Convention oil, it's cold temperature pour point at -42C is better than some of the synthetics at -39C. Also, conventional oil has a synthetic oil component in it theses days, so it's actually a blend although the big brand names don't market it as such. I wouldn't recommend generic/house brands due to lack of published specs. They may use a major brand base oil but what's in their additive package?

·
Registered
152 Posts
better check your oil every 1,000 miles or so....I see people with the 3.8 that think that can go 5,000+ miles between oil changes coming in with no oil in the engine all the time....every once in a while no oil and spun bearings...... I personally use regular oil and change it more and personally think synthetic is a waste, everybody has their own opinion on oils and I'm not trying to start a fight about oil because its a useless argument kinda like democrats arguing with republicans....ill never use it because I have seen way to many engines that used synthetic and gone longer intervals with roached motors way before expected, maybe just a coincidence that I have seen so many idk

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Some motor oil trivia:

Major brands conventional oils contain synthetic oil in the mix: Forward this e-mail to colleague
The third tier comprises what many in our industry refer to as conventional engine oil. Although today most of these so called conventional oils contain some level of Group III base oil (thus making then synthetic blends), most marketers do not market them as such. Instead, they are positioned and priced as conventional products.
That synthetic component may have something to do with helping the additive package to work better, I don't know, but it's there in major brands.

Product Data Sheet for Valvoline Premium Conventional: https://valvoline.com/pdf/premium_conventional.pdf

Product Data Sheet for Castrol Edge Synthetic: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B6D6425DB1187C8480257C12006048F5/$File/BPXE-9CXU94.pdf

As for generic/house brand motor oil, check the label carefully and see if you can find a Product Data Sheet online. A PDS is unlikely, so .... why go there other than to save a few $ (maybe)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts