Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my steel winch line on my smittybilt XRC 9500 winch with a synthetic one. Any suggestions on what on what thickness and strength I should get would be appreciated. I'd like to use a factor 55 type shackle, so if it comes with a hook, it has to be detachable. Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Most any hook should be detachable by a pin removal.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I use steel but really wanted synthetic. UV stability was my concern, as we'll soon be parking outdoors. I'll be buying ARE Spidersilk. Nearly every brand uses the same Dyneema rope. I talked to ARE about it. Spidersilk is a custom product that is supposed to be significantly more UV resistant, and the entire line is sheathed in a second layer of the stuff which further protects the part of the rope that is under a load.

As for capacity, at $225 for 100' of 7/16 I figure just go for the maximum.

Shop by Brand - A - Arachni Recovery Equipment - Synthetic Winch Line - 7/16" Winch Line - Olympus Offroad

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
If you have used the wire cable, when you go to synthetic you must replace the fairlead as scratches in it's surface from the wire cable will put small cuts in the outer sheath of the synthetic cable.

Reactions: mcguirev10

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Jeep is parked outdoors too, so I'll definitely check these out. Thanks!

I use steel but really wanted synthetic. UV stability was my concern, as we'll soon be parking outdoors. I'll be buying ARE Spidersilk. Nearly every brand uses the same Dyneema rope. I talked to ARE about it. Spidersilk is a custom product that is supposed to be significantly more UV resistant, and the entire line is sheathed in a second layer of the stuff which further protects the part of the rope that is under a load.

Shop by Brand - A - Arachni Recovery Equipment - Synthetic Winch Line - 7/16" Winch Line - Olympus Offroad

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it, thanks. Part of the reason for switching to synthetic is the weight savings. I think I'll be saving around 25lb's in total. The fairlead alone is about 10lbs.

If you have used the wire cable, when you go to synthetic you must replace the fairlead as scratches in it's surface from the wire cable will put small cuts in the outer sheath of the synthetic cable.

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
If worried about UV I would suggest getting a Bartact winch cover. Does not fade or at least not as fast as neoprene and is supper tough. And at least with my ZEON I don't have to remove the cover to use the winch.

Reactions: 19E60

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The Olympus Synthetic as posted above 7/16”x100’ = 30,000lbs ... you can get it with a built in soft shackle so you don’t even need a thimble or hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

Off topic a bit, but how do you like your Baja MTZ's? My Jeep is my daily driver and I'll need to switch the tires out in about 5k. I have Goodyear Duratracs. I love the aggressive look and they've performed well offload but they're a pain to balance.

If worried about UV I would suggest getting a Bartact winch cover. Does not fade or at least not as fast as neoprene and is supper tough. And at least with my ZEON I don't have to remove the cover to use the winch.

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
I like them. Got about 35000 on them now a little more than half worn. I have the e-rated tire and if I buy them again I will get the d-rated tire, did not know they had them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is your Jeep your daily driver?

I like them. Got about 35000 on them now a little more than half worn. I have the e-rated tire and if I buy them again I will get the d-rated tire, did not know they had them.

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Is your Jeep your daily driver?
It was but now that I am retired I don't have to drive daily. But I have taken all over the country.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts

My Spidersilk line broke after one year. Maybe I need to maintain better but it broke I assume from UV breakdown. Tried again and this time will pool out every 2 maths, clean, dry and respool.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you are not using the hook why not just cut it off. That’s what I did. ��*♂

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, that's what I plan to do.

I received the Smittybilt 97712 7/16" x 88' Synthetic Winch Rope - 12000 lbs. Capacity and generic aluminum fairlead today. Combined weight is 8.8lbs. I'm interested to see how much the steel winch line and roller fairlead weigh.

If you are not using the hook why not just cut it off. That’s what I did. ��*♂

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
If you are not using the hook why not just cut it off. That’s what I did. *♂

Why cut the hook off. Unbraid the line take the hook off and braid it back up. It’s good practice on how to do line repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Spooling synthetic line on a winch designed for steel rope may not work if the winch wasn't designed for synthetic. The drum may get too hot and melt the synthetic line.

Winches designed for synthetic have provisions to keep the drum from heating up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts