Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want some for my m8000. 3/8" 150 ft. If it will fit. Searching online all I can find is Viking winchline. Do they have any competitors? What are you guys running for synthetics.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
The M8000 doesn't have even close to enough capacity for 150' of 3/8", I'm thinking you'll be lucky to get 80' of 3/8" onto your M8000. I could only get 100' of 3/8" onto my 9.5xp which has a larger drum.

Be careful to note that even if it fits when the line is spooled on nice and level that it could still be too much for off-angle winching situations that will occur that will cause the rope to pile up on one side as you winch. The rope can pile up high enough to break the frame or support rods.

Viking winch line is superb stuff, that's what I have run on both my winches. Thor owns Viking and he's one of us, a fellow Jeeper and good guy.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Yeah, the M8000 comes with 100 of 5/16" steel cable. Although from their site they claim:

Rope: Steel -- 100', 5/16" diam.
Spydura
synthetic -- 100', 3/8" diam.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking thinking thinking. I suppose if I need that extra 20 ft I can use a recovery strap. Unanimous decision. Viking whinchline?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
80' of Viking 3/8" is what I ran on my previous Warn HS9500i and it worked very well.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've noticed. It annoys me sometimes! But I do what I can to learn from my research and others mistakes. Does Viking have color choices?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you want a price comparison, I have met the owner and he is a Jeeper also. He is the cousin of my former boss, nice guy and it gives you something to compare to for pricing. He does custom lengths/made to order stuff.

Midwest Winchrope

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm running Amsteel Blue. I'm under the impression that Viking lines use Amsteel Blue as their raw materials supplier.. Correct me if I'm wrong ... Thanks..

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
What are the real advantages to synthetic line? Less weight? Stronger? Not gonna rust? Anything else?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
^^all of the above, and less chance of damage to people and Jeeps if failure occurs on the line, (a metal hook is a metal hook, however it chooses to fly at you though!)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
These guys have the BEST winch line available hands down:
Winch Rope, Synthetic Winch Rope, ATV Winch Ropes

Winch Rope, Winch Ropes Specifications

Makes Viking look like Yellow Nylon Cord.:rofl::popcorn:
Um, you should compare them a little more carefully... Did you know that both Viking and Masterpull winch lines are both Dyneema?

Did you notice Masterpull's comparison chart doesn't compare their rope to Dyneema because Masterpull is Dyneema as is Viking rope is?

From Masterpull's website: "-M-P Winch Rope is made using the world's strongest synthetic rope, Dyneema."

From Viking's website: "Viking Winchlines are all US Made from the strongest fiber currently available: Dyneema"

If you had ever really compared Masterpull to Viking, you wouldn't be claiming Viking line looks "like Yellow Nylon Cord" because it's made from the same stuff, Dyneema, that Masterpull uses. Not all winch lines are made from Dyneema... but Masterpull and Viking both are.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Have any of y'all experienced the synthetic rope fraying or breaking down from uv ray exposure?
Nope, they are specially treated to resist ozone and UV. Synthetic rope has been in use aboard ocean going ships and docks for many years, well before we started using synthetic ropes on winches, and they are continually out in the sun. The maritime industry switched to synthetic years ago because it holds up better than the old hemp/manilla lines they used to use. You'll see it on their winches as well. This stuff is not your grandfather's cheap yellow polypropylene rope that would indeed fray and all apart if left out in the sun. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
denisbaldwin said:
What are the real advantages to synthetic line? Less weight? Stronger? Not gonna rust? Anything else?
Rumor has it. That wire cable stretches Wichita stores energy so if it fails it whips back and can cause severe injury. If that metal hook hits you on the head it's over. Though whinchline can't cut you in half like some people claim if you get caught by the wire as it's making a pass it will still ruin your day. (saw it on mythbuster) whereas synthetic does not stretch therefore not storing energy. So if anything goes wrong it just drops to the ground.
From what I understand. I've never seen either of them fail in person so I'm a wee bit skeptical. But the pros are pros and I'm me. I really want it for the light weight aspect.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts