Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 TJ Rubicon, stock trans/tc/axles(and gears). RK X-Factor 3.5" lift with 33". About 95k miles.

This is my first TJ (been driving CJs for 25+ years) and I've had it about a year. This being my first Jeep with a chain driven t/c I knew there would be some difference, but I've driven other TJs, and I don't think what I'm experiencing is normal.

The last few weeks / month a "clunk" has developed. This happens any time the drive train loads (shifting up in gears, coasting/throttle up, etc). At first I thought it was the rear diff, which I think is common in many cars (within tolerance, but you feel/hear a clunk). However, I am certain it is the T/C or Trans.

Trying to upload some vids so you can see / hear, but keep getting an error "invalid file" (what format does this forum accept?). The first shows the rear drive shaft being rotated (wheels off ground, t/c and trans in gear). There is less than 3/8" play, but you can hear the metallic clunk. The second is while driving (under 30mph, rpms under 2500) you can hear the clunk as I shift and as let off the throttle and then back down with a tap. While it doesn't sound like much in the vid, if you're in the Jeep you'd swear something was about to blow apart.

So - assuming it is the t/c, what would cause this? Other things I considered but ruled out were the u joints (there was no noticeable issue with the rear drive shaft; the fronts need to be changed - will do all when I get to them), and the read diff as mentioned before (when wheels are on the ground there is almost no play in the drive shaft, so I'm pretty sure the tolerances are good in the diff).

Sorry to be so long, but wanted to give as mush detail as I could. Searched around and didn't' find much that sounded the same (a lot of u joints and diff issues, but t/c for the TJs I didn't find what seemed the same). Hoping someone with good TJ / 241 t/c knowledge can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, finally had a buddy drive the Jeep while I watched underneath as he rolled past and worked the clutch. Problem was simple (to the point of being embarrassing): rear upper control arms, axle mount bolts, were loose on both sides (and I'm sure the holes are oblong now). The clunk was a combo of the bolt banging with the axle twist and probably some binding on the u joints. Two wrenches and 3 minutes later - no more clunk. Will have to followup and see off bad the holes are now - not a hard fix, but a matter of time I think till it becomes an issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts