Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short,swapping 2.5 to 4.0. i got a 87 4.0 im rebuilding and mating a 95 ax15 with external slave.im mounting this to my t case.i have to change my input shaft.which one do i need, ive been reading up on it and im getting confused.i looked at jb conversions.do i need the shaft that fits my 95 ax15 or my 93 t case.just wanting to make sure i dont buy the wrong one.also if i do it this way,everything from my t case back is not going to move so i dont have to mess with my driveshafts (right)thanks for your help.this forum has helped me out allot.when i have a queston i go here first.yall are awesome:punk:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
First off....they did not make a 4.0 in 87, I assume you meant 97? I am not real sure which input shaft you are going to need. But I can tell you that you will need to change the one in the T-case, not the tranny. Just count the splines on the output shaft on your tranny and get an input shaft that is compatable.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 4.0 is a 87 it is out of a cherokee i think it is the first year amc used it in jeeps

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nah in the out of country version of the wrangler they had the 4.0 and some of them have made it into America. Also the renegade had it. They should be the same input shafts, they are all the same spline count, but some have a longer shaft then others. ive taken a tcase from a cherokee and it didnt fit my YJ b.c the input shaft of the tcase was too short.

·
Registered
680 Posts
t-case. 2.5 had a diffrent t-case than 4.0. both are 231's but the 4.0 is a 23 spline and the 2.5 is a 21. might be cheaper to pull a 231 from the junk yard out of a 4.0.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found somebody thats has a t case and driveshafts from a 4.0 that im trading for my hardtop i bought that has no back glass.my swap is getting alot more easier.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
false alarm! the guy i was trading with has the 21 spline t case for the 4 cyl. i new it was too good to be true. back to the drawing board

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does anybody have the answer to this queston.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts