Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.5" RC lift and after installing it, I noticed in 1st gear when just starting off I would get a banging that would coincidewith the shaking of the shifter. I just put on 33" tires and the banging is more frequent and louder. I dont think the with the instalation of the lift there was any attention paid to the transfer case. Does this sound like the problem? Is the lowering kit an easy install? How much should I lower it, is there a formula based on the hieght increase? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 97. Is the kit easy to install? I like to work on the jeep but don't possess extensive skills.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm having the same problem with mine, its like a popping noise in rapid succession just off the line in first then it goes away. same thing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely same thing. Seems worse with the bigger tires. I also now have a metalic sound when I shut down(I should save that for a different thread though)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
BL is a Body lift

MML is a Motor Mount lift.

A MML lift will also reduce your driveshaft angle. Im not sure if the OP and your issue is with the driveline, but if it is, a MML or TC drop should help. I prefer the BL and MML because if you ever plan on installing any sort of skid plates such as a tummy tuck or a gas skid, many of them prefer you to have a body lift in place to make installation easier.

·
Registered
864 Posts
When I did my lift 2-1/2 inch I bought 6 new bolts alittle longer for the TC drop . I also bought 60 washers . Start out with 5 per bolt and drive it some ? if it still has some Vibs add one or two or if no Vibs you can take one out ?

Something to think about is the more you drop the TC the less room you have for your shifter to go in 2-4- and R

Good luck BANGER

·
Registered
17 Posts
i`m having the same problem,97 4.0 auto and a rc 3.25 lift, when just starting off i get a banging noise and feel it in shifter and floor boards but cannot tell exactly where its comming from. I installed the t-case drop that came with it when we installed the kit, had it on the lift a number of times but cant figure out this noise

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
BL is a Body lift

MML is a Motor Mount lift.

A MML lift will also reduce your driveshaft angle. Im not sure if the OP and your issue is with the driveline, but if it is, a MML or TC drop should help. I prefer the BL and MML because if you ever plan on installing any sort of skid plates such as a tummy tuck or a gas skid, many of them prefer you to have a body lift in place to make installation easier.
I plan on doing both, which is exactly why I did a BL & MML with my OME lift. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts