Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months I’ve had what I can best describe as a rattle noise coming from what I think is the transfer case. I originally thought it was the front drive shaft but when I removed the front shaft the noise would still appear although not all the time just occasionally. Reinstalled the front drive shaft and the noise is almost constant although sometimes it does go away for short periods of time.

In addition, and I’m not sure it’s related but when I place the T-case into 4WD I get a sound somewhere between a groan and a sound like when gears are not meshing properly in addition to that rattle. I also do not get the 4WD indicator light even though I do have 4WD, It’s been too cold to check the indicator switch but I will do that as soon as the weather warms up to the point where I can feel my fingers. I did adjust the linkage and as far as I know it’s adjusted per ALLDATA and Jeep manual and it stays in 4WD no jumping out of 4WD when driving. The rattle is most of the time the groan is only when 4W is engaged.

Just to give you a little history, back in 08 I rebuilt the t-case and install the Teraflex 4:1 and Teraflex 2WD low kit as well as the JB conversion 1 ¼” wide chain kit and their master rebuild kit.
I’m wondering if the rattle might be the front driveshaft output bearing? As far as the groan/ gear not meshing properly noise when in 4WD I have no idea on that one???
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The rattling is cause by a shredded torque shaft bushing or some other linkage bushings allowing the entire linkage assembly to rattle back and forth when the jeep vibrates, theres a TSB for it here
Jeep TJ Transfer Case Shifter Knocking TSB

im almost certain thats your issue because i have the same thing and I have yet to fix it because it im in Southern NY and its freezing here too. I get the groaning in my jeep and lack of light. What i think is happening is the transfer case doesn't get fully engaged in 4WD because somewhere in the linkage assembly there is an issue. My T-case shifter handle is also being forced all the way to the left so I'm confident its pretty franked up. The rebuild kit is only 15 bucks and hopefully should fix your problem, your systems match mine exactly and I know thats whats wrong with mine, or I could be dead wrong, who knows

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out as soon as we thaw out up here which by the looks of things may be in May...lol

If it is the shift linkage and I'm hoping that's all it is I think I'm just going to replace it with the Novak SK2XC shifter cable kit and fix the problem once and for all.

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does the rattling increase with speed? I have a sound like that, kind of like the sound it makes when kids put baseball cards in their bike wheels but quiter. I'm assuming mine is from a stretched chain

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on Tcase noise.

Now that the weather is turning warmer here in the north east I finally got a chance to get under the Jeep and check out the indicator switch, that checked out fine.

While I was under there I checked the rear drive shaft and noticed a lot of play in the centering yoke. Sure enough when I removed the DS and checked the centering yoke it was toast. I rebuilt the centering yoke and reinstalled the shaft. Some of the noise I was hearing was eliminated but I still get the sound like gears not meshing properly. I guess I will have no choice but to tear into the T-case and have a look see unless someone has another suggestion as to what might be causing the noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts