Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you air down does the tps light come on? If so anyway it could be turned off?

I assume that if I bought a second set of tires / rims that have the tps installed I would have to do something so the jeep would see the new set.

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
Stock, there is no way to disable the TPMS.

You just need to drive up to 7 miles, and the second set of tires will auto-register with the system. I do this twice a year, as I swap between my summer/highway tire set, and my winter/off-road tire set.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The light will come on when you air down to drive off road. No reason to disable it, just air back up when you get back on pavement.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
When you air down does the tps light come on? If so anyway it could be turned off?

I assume that if I bought a second set of tires / rims that have the tps installed I would have to do something so the jeep would see the new set.

It actually can be turned off. You can use the AEV procal device to do so. You can also change the PSI threhold at which the dashboard light comes on denoting low air pressure with the same device.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
How low can you set the threshold pressure with the ProCal or Superships Flashcal? I'd like to set it at 6-8psi, so it's not on when at 10-12 off road.

Mark

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock, there is no way to disable the TPMS.

You just need to drive up to 7 miles, and the second set of tires will auto-register with the system. I do this twice a year, as I swap between my summer/highway tire set, and my winter/off-road tire set.
This is kind of what I want to do. Have one set of play tires and second set for daily driving.
The jeep club I am with have people selling Rubicon rims and tires for less then 900 for set of 5 and most of them are with low miles on them.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it would be cool if Chrysler would put a switch that would turn off the tps when you air down and put in 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I guess it would be cool if Chrysler would put a switch that would turn off the tps when you air down and put in 4 wheel drive.
They can't.

Prior to maybe 2010 most Toyota 4x4s had a button to disable the side curtain airbags to avoid accidental deployment when off roading (it happens). The feds cracked down on this and made it illegal for the manufacturer to offer a defeat switch for a safety mechanism/feature. Stupid, but why expect anything less from Washington?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
How low can you set the threshold pressure with the ProCal or Superships Flashcal? I'd like to set it at 6-8psi, so it's not on when at 10-12 off road.

Mark
A Procal can only adjust down to 22 lbs. which then triggers TPMS. It can also disable TPMS.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Then how do they get away with a switch to turn off passenger side air bags?
If you're talking about JK's, 2007 was the only year where the passenger side air bag was disabled if there was no one actually sitting in the passenger seat. There was a warning light which indicated that it was disabled. From 2008 to the present the air bags are always on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Flashcal for my 2014 jk. It only gives me the option to disable TPMS. I cannot change the psi threshold.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have the Flashcal for my 2014 jk. It only gives me the option to disable TPMS. I cannot change the psi threshold.
Good to know. If you turn it off, do the tire pressures still display in the EVIC?

Mark

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
I am sure that there is some federal regulation against it, but the system should be smart enough to tell if one tire is low, or if all four of them are low; equally low.

I can't envision too many times that someone experiences a true flat while driving, were all four tires go flat simultaneously.

Basically, ...

One tire low = BAD. Turn on warning. RED ALERT!

All tires low = intentional deflate. Ignore condition.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good question. I cannot say for certain. I assumed the tpms would read 0psi if I turned it off. I'll try it and report back.
I just used my Flashcal on my 2014jk. I set the tpms to off-road mode. As suspected, the warning light goes away, but the tires only read 0 psi on the display.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts