Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 08 JK and am using my cell phone and using gia gps app to keep track of where I explore off road. I want to start using my tablet due to larger screen and much cheaper if I brake it. Can anyone recommend a good solid mounting and holding device for tablets? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I use the bulletpoint system. It works great.

Reactions: MikEIB

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L etorque with automatic transmission
82 Posts
I use Ram mounts as well, my JL may be slightly different for the base install, but the ball mounts and arms would be the same. I have a Samsung Z Fold 2 I use daily, and have been pretty happy with the system. I used the same setup with my Samsung S7+ tablet for a quick test, and it worked equally as well with that too.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I run a Vector bar on my JK with some 67designs mounts but used to run bulletpoint for my phone. I like the mag mount stuff from 67 designs but will say it's not cheap but I think worth the price.

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,123 Posts
For some reason I can’t get any suction type mount to actually stay on the windshield. Those ram mounts look good and I’ve heard nothing but good about them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1 RamMounts. They hold my tablet, radios, phone, etc. solid while off-road. They have the most accessories by far. I looked at 67 Designs, but the ball and socket size they use is smaller than RamMount.
Vehicle Satellite radio Motor vehicle Gear shift Steering part

Gear shift Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hello, I have an 08 JK and am using my cell phone and using gia gps app to keep track of where I explore off road. I want to start using my tablet due to larger screen and much cheaper if I brake it. Can anyone recommend a good solid mounting and holding device for tablets? Thanks.
Just finished doing this, used the Vector Off Road bar and then wen to Amazon for the mounts - look down the page(s) to see other items you may need - you probably will need to mix-n-match to get the config you need/want

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It would be nice if they could show the mount, and then below list the accompanying components necessary. I haven’t ordered anything because at my “advanced” age, I find it confusing as to what is needed.

·
Registered
2017 JKU Hard Rock
980 Posts
Here’s my setup. Carolina Metal Masters grab bar with a 20mm ball mount. 67d mini carbon fiber arm and 67d universal tablet holder. I use an iPad Mini 6 with this setup currently.
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2017 JKU Hard Rock
980 Posts
Grab bars sold out. Does it work with just the ball mount............hmmmm..........
They only run them a few times a year now. They’ll send out an email or post on Instagram when they open orders for them.

The ball mount won’t work with the stock handle. The bolts you see on the stock bar are cosmetic and not real bolts at all. When you pry the trim off you’ll see the actual bolts for the stock handle—and they aren’t directly behind the fake bolts.

Here’s another option if you absolutely want to keep your stock grab handle and add a ball mount without hacking up the stock bar—which could also do—but it’s not cheap and it’s only available with 1” ball for RAM mounts. Great if you’re using RAM holders. You could still use 67d mounts if you get their RAM to 20mm ball adapter clamp.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: jrockwell

·
Registered
32 Posts
They only run them a few times a year now. They’ll send out an email or post on Instagram when they open orders for them.

The ball mount won’t work with the stock handle. The bolts you see on the stock bar are cosmetic and not real bolts at all. When you pry the trim off you’ll see the actual bolts for the stock handle—and they aren’t directly behind the fake bolts.

Here’s another option if you absolutely want to keep your stock grab handle and add a ball mount without hacking up the stock bar—which could also do—but it’s not cheap and it’s only available with 1” ball for RAM mounts. Great if you’re using RAM holders. You could still use 67d mounts if you get their RAM to 20mm ball adapter clamp.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. So your saying to do the last part just to get RAM phone holder? Still using 67 designs base up top in the tray?

I like the location of the grab handle RAM mounts for a screen, but don't need the grab bar. Surprising no amazon hack has figured a work around. Guess it's in what's behind that grab bar. And as you say it a fallacy lol. Guess I just roll w a full 67 design double for phone and tab with Joby holder. Seems best.

·
Registered
2017 JKU Hard Rock
980 Posts
Thank you. So your saying to do the last part just to get RAM phone holder? Still using 67 designs base up top in the tray?

I like the location of the grab handle RAM mounts for a screen, but don't need the grab bar. Surprising no amazon hack has figured a work around. Guess it's in what's behind that grab bar. And as you say it a fallacy lol. Guess I just roll w a full 67 design double for phone and tab with Joby holder. Seems best.
For my phone I have the 67d double ball mount in the tray above the radio with a 67d universal phone mount. On the grab handle I have the universal tablet mount. I use that for an iPad Mini 6.

I probably wouldn’t mount a tablet from the tray mount, it’s plenty sturdy for a phone, but I’d be afraid the leverage and weight from a tablet on an arm would eventually crack the dash.

I don’t use any RAM mounts. I was just saying if you want to mount a 67d holder to a 1” RAM ball, 67d makes an adapter. Otherwise the two are not compatible. RAM mounts use a 1” ball and 67d uses a 20mm ball.

The link in my last post was for an offset stanchion that is a work around for adding a ball mount to the stock grab handle. It allows you to put a real bolt where the fake one is. The only thing is that it’s only available with a 1” ball. I don’t have firsthand experience with this one, but it looks like it would be sturdy, which is also probably why it’s expensive. You’re definitely paying a price to have a clean factory look.

·
Registered
2017 JKU Hard Rock
980 Posts
Oh and with the grab handle from CMM you can choose 1” or 20mm ball mounts. You can also choose one or two ball mounts, and the can be changed easily.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I use a RAM Ball Mount and arms with an iBolt Tablet Holder on my overhead MPS Rack. I've had no issues with it falling or being in the way either on road or bouncing around off road.
Mirror Window Automotive mirror Vehicle Car

Building Automotive exterior Ceiling Sky Engineering

1 - 20 of 27 Posts