Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a lot of people complaining about tacky or sticky leather steering wheels, especially when the climate becomes really humid.

The symptoms are usually a wheel which feels moist and tacky and which leaves ugly stains on your hands after driving.

The problem is most likely to be that the steering wheel has become clogged with oils from sweat and dead skin and when the weather becomes hot and humid these oils rise to the surface, together with dislodged particles of leather dye to stick to your hands - yech!!!.

The solution is NOT to buy tonnes of expensive product - DONT DO IT!!

Get a small bucket of very very hot water, the hotter the better, and a tiny bit of dish washing liquid or good hand soap or 10% Woolite with a microfibre towel and scrub the living hell out of the leather wheel with the well soaked towel - rinse and repeat as many times as it takes.

Wait a day or longer and repeat the process until the leather wheel is dry as a lizard's tit.

If the wheel is particularly bad use saddle soap instead of hand soap but only after the water / soap treatment has failed - and be careful not to use too much saddle soap else you will struggle to get the saddle soap out of the leather - and RINSE well, saddle soap can be difficult to get out of leather without lots of fresh water!!

A good supplier of saddle leather products is http://www.bickmore.com/ I always keep a stock of their soap and conditioners for my leather interiors

Once the wheel is finally clean use a good leather water sealer (not silicone based - silicone will eventually destroy the leather - hint Kiwi is almost pure silicone in some of their products) - try Bickmore or other similar brand

after this use a tiny bit of leather conditioner (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per steering wheel) to feed the leather.

When a steering wheel is brand new use a water repellent immediately and repeat after a week or so to get the wheel nicely sealed against sweat absorption.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I use a leather seat cleaner to clean my leather wrapped steering wheel every once in a while.
+1

Every time I clean and condition my leather seats with Lexol, I do the leather steering wheel too. Never had a tacky or sticky steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
10,657 Posts
+3

I apply leather seat cleaner and conditioner to the steering wheel 3-4 X year and it stays clean and supple like a baby's butt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts