Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With 2020 here we have some new products to review. This is the first one.
The Tactik Tire carrier.

Read and watch below:

If you own a JK/JKU Wrangler you may find yourself needing to upgrade your tire carrier even if you don't run a larger tire. Why? Well it depends on what year your Jeep is, below are the approximate weight capacities by model year the factory carrier is rated for:

07-13 50lbs,
'14 69lbs,
'15-'18 85lbs.

As a frame of reference, a stock tire and rim from a 2015 Rubicon weights in at approximately 74lbs.

So even if you are lucky enough to have a later model year with the 35lb increase you still might want to consider upgrading should your plans including stepping up in tire size. The most common issue is the gate deforming and worst cases have shown a few of the spot welds popping. However the aftermarket has realized this issue and provide solutions.

One such solution is the Tactik Maximum Duty Tire Carrier. It offers a simple bolt on solution to replace the weaker factory offerings. It is strong enough to hold upto a 37" tire so should you wish to up-size you should be good to go. If you have never heard of Tactik, they are a division of Quadratec and stand behind the carrier with a 5 year limited warranty. Check out some of the install pictures below and watch the video at the bottom of the page for the full install and thoughts on this upgrade. As always while the manufacture provided the product for the review, all thoughts, views and ramblings are our own.

...Continue reading at: Tactik Tire Carrier write up

Or Watch below:

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
I could be wrong but that looks very similar to the Rugged Ridge model.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
It IS the Rugged Ridge unit w/ a different name. Q-Tec has products they set under their "brand" but all are produced by outside companies and rebranded. Not a bad thing, just a FYI. Some of the rebranded items cost less, some don't. I got the Rugged Ridge branded version for less than Q-tec was offering theirs... I love it.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It IS the Rugged Ridge unit w/ a different name. Q-Tec has products they set under their "brand" but all are produced by outside companies and rebranded. Not a bad thing, just a FYI. Some of the rebranded items cost less, some don't. I got the Rugged Ridge branded version for less than Q-tec was offering theirs... I love it.

Good to know,.. yeah I got to beat the jeep a bit on a trail run just prior to all this stay at home stuff and no rattles, shakes or sounds.. very happy with how it is doing for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts