Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what these brackets are for? Mine's completely rusted. I took it out to refinish it, but ended up breaking all 3 bolts holding the tail lamp. Now I gotta go play with my ez-out set, and then see about replacing the 3 bolts.

Here are some pics.

Right tail lamp with the 3 busted bolts. Look at that freakin' rust stain.

Right tail lamp before I started.

Left tail lamp.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm 99.997% sure that the previous owner had a roof rack on there. There would have also been mounts near the wind shield hinges as well (whether they left those on or not...)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No mods for a while. :( The wheels and tires set me back enough for the rest of the year ;)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
90 greenbacks give or take some will get you 26 flushmount 4" circular LED's with a harness and gromits, back-up lights, and an aftermarket licence plate light. they look a hell of alot better than the stock lights. just an hour or two of time to install...just a suggestion...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
You're just screwed. Sell the Jeep and buy an H3, you know you want to... j/k

They look like the brackets for the roof rack. LED lights would be cheaper to install than it would be to repair the cancer. Be careful, it spreads. (the rust, I mean) just in case...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Possible antenna mounts. Maybe the previous owner was a Ham and ran 2 meter and CB, one on each side.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I busted 5 of the 6 bolts trying to get the tail lights off. 2 had to be drilled out. The rest gave way grudgingly. There was only minor rust on the body, which I got out easily with a dremel. A little rubbing compound, and a lot of elbow grease took care of the scratches and rust stain. The bracket holes have been filled in a bit with some putty. I'll let it dry overnight, and finish the job tomorrow.

Needless to say, the nasty rusted out brackets are history!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what the tail lamps look now. Maybe I'll have some time this weekend to get some primer & paint, and finish the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts