Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!
Sorry if this is an obvious question, young female owner just learning to care for my car myself. If the blinker, brake light, and tail light are all out on one side of my 2012 Wrangler Sahara, is this a bulb issue or a fuse?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I'd start with checking the bulb.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Welcome to the forum! (y)

As mentioned, two screws remove the tail light- you'll want to unscrew the top and bottom screws on the taillight assembly closest to the tailgate to remove the whole assembly. Once removed, you can twist and remove the bulb holder and change out the bulb.

Try the bulb first- I find it a good practice to replace both sides, so you won't be chasing the same problem on the other side in the near future.

If that doesn't solve the problem for you, report back and there are other things you can check.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This is most likely a bulb issue.

The Jeep Wrangler JK uses a (clear, not amber) 3157 bulb that operates as the turn signal, brake light, and tail light. The 3157 bulb is capable of operating as all of these because it is a dual-filament bulb, unlike the 3156 bulb which is a single-filament bulb.

Make your way to your local auto store and purchase a pack of Sylvania Longlife 3157 bulbs. That is all you need. You don't need to replace the other bulb until it goes out. Sure, it could go out around the same time as the other bulb assuming you don't have any leaks or any other precicipating factors that expedited the failure of the first bulb. But, it's easy to remove the tail light assembly and replace the bulb. So, just wait to replace the other bulb until it fails. That way you get the most life out of the bulb.

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
The concern I have is both circuits going out at the same time. Start with the bulb, but don't throw the old bulb away until you know it was the bulb. Once you have the new bulb in, check and see that both work. The way I do it when checking trailer connections and rear bulbs is to turn on the parking light first and see that it works and then turn on the hazards as that flashes the brake/turn element in both bulbs at the same time.

The reason everyone jumped on the bulb is that there are two circuits in the bulb, one about half bright for the tail lights and one much brighter for the brake/turn signals. They are on two different fuses.

It's always courteous to come back and tell us what the results were, if it worked or didn't

BTW - Welcome to the Jeepers world and to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
If you want to test the bulb and light functions, swap it with the other side.

Reactions: AAONMS

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Is your dash indicator doing anything weird? I've n ever had one go out in my jeep but most vehicles have a way to tell you if the bulb is out. Either the indicator won't blink or it will blink twice as fast, some way to notify you that you have an issue. I assume the wranglers are the same......

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
The Wranglers also hyper flash if the circuit does not have enough resistance - ie: bulb burned out. Or as some have found out, an LED bulb has been installed and the circuit not modified.

·
Registered
157 Posts
one thing no one has mentioned...my 2009 rear bulb was 'out'...I took the connector apart that feeds the tail light housing, sprayed the contact with a little wd40 and reassembled and it worked. The bulb was good, but there was probably a little dirt or corrosion preventing good connections.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had a similar issue but I had stupidly cut through a wire close to the front left door wiring connector while cleaning up so tails on cable ties.
I went through the usual, checking bulb etc. before getting a multimeter on it and tracing it back to the front of the jeep :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Is your dash indicator doing anything weird? I've n ever had one go out in my jeep but most vehicles have a way to tell you if the bulb is out. Either the indicator won't blink or it will blink twice as fast, some way to notify you that you have an issue. I assume the wranglers are the same......
When my turn signal burned out I got a message on my DIC stating that the right turn signal was not working. 2015 JKUR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.