Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing some rear corner armor on my rig and the bolts that came with the OEM lights aren't long enough to work anymore. I went to the auto parts stores and they've got nothing that will match the threads, was wondering if anyone had any solutions for things they've done, I'm sure this problem has been ran into before.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
I use stainless steel bolts on mine.
Run the bolts straight through the holes in the tub then reach up behind the tub and put nuts on them.
Can't remember the thread size - just whatever fits through the holes in the tub.
Make sure they are good and tight - the taillights 'earth' through the mounting bolts.
If they don't have a good earth, the tail lights will light up/flash strangely.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I use stainless steel bolts on mine.
Run the bolts straight through the holes in the tub then reach up behind the tub and put nuts on them.
Can't remember the thread size - just whatever fits through the holes in the tub.
Make sure they are good and tight - the taillights 'earth' through the mounting bolts.
If they don't have a good earth, the tail lights will light up/flash strangely.
X2. Not a fan of these bit if you like them make sure the bolts make good grounds or you will have many problems down the road.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
On my '01, the tail light screws were #12X28; not a very common size. When I put surface mount LED's, I tapped them 1/4X28. Plenty of options for 1/4X28's. Or, do like mentioned above and use screws with washers and nuts.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
When I installed my antenna mount I got longer bolts at Lowes. They have a pretty good selection. They have the unit on the wall with all the examples you can use to determine the size of your bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm installing some rear corner armor on my rig and the bolts that came with the OEM lights aren't long enough to work anymore. I went to the auto parts stores and they've got nothing that will match the threads, was wondering if anyone had any solutions for things they've done, I'm sure this problem has been ran into before.
I encountered the same problem yesterday. I went to an ACE Hardware and they had the most complete assortment of bolts I have ever seen and nothing was the correct size. Apparently ,they used a 12/28 which maybe the most rare thread there is. Why???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts