Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I removed my tail lights to install some smittybuilt taillight guards. After I hooked everything back up I noticed my left taillight shines dimmer than my right. All of the bulbs are fine. Also yesterday when I went to hit my left blinker the green arrow on my dash stayed on and the left blinker didn't work. Is the one dim taillight problem maybe from a bad ground? I figured it's gotta be because the wiring harnesses haven't been touched since 1995... any tips?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Probably in the ground. Check the front light and see if it lights up when the signal is on. if so look at the turn signal flasher.

·
Registered
225 Posts
replace the bulb

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay now my blinker works fine but the left side is still dimmer and now I've realized that my reverse lights blink when my blinker goes on...is that normal? Lmao

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Okay now my blinker works fine but the left side is still dimmer and now I've realized that my reverse lights blink when my blinker goes on...is that normal? Lmao
That's not normal. Sounds like a bad ground. When you get a dim light like that it's usually always the ground.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what we figured. We'll check that out for sure

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sometimes the bulb appears good but it's bad, try replacing the dim bulb and see if fixes. I run into that all the time at work, they go bad inside but will light up very dim.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The other day I removed my tail lights to install some smittybuilt taillight guards. After I hooked everything back up I noticed my left taillight shines dimmer than my right. All of the bulbs are fine. Also yesterday when I went to hit my left blinker the green arrow on my dash stayed on and the left blinker didn't work. Is the one dim taillight problem maybe from a bad ground? I figured it's gotta be because the wiring harnesses haven't been touched since 1995... any tips?
The lights are grounded through the taillight housing bolts to the body. The guards you installed probably go behind the housings and are painted/powder coated, which is going to hinder the grounding ability. A bad ground will cause the lights to pull ground from other resources causing your issues.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A little scuff with some sand paper at the spot for ground should help. Just did that myself for ground to motor yest. Wound up doin all of 'em. Worth a try.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
A bad ground will cause the lights to pull ground from other resources causing your issues.
+1

Like thru another bulb or filament.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So replace the bulb and sand down the light guard behind the tail light housing? Can't hurt to try! Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I put this off for a little bit lol. But finally sanded down the paint from the taillight guard today and the ground is better/fixed because everything works perfect! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question - how in the hell do you unplug the passenger side tail light harness in order to install the guards? It's so short I can't get to the plug to disconnect....of course I only spent a few minutes - will look at it when I have more time this weekend.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Question - how in the hell do you unplug the passenger side tail light harness in order to install the guards? It's so short I can't get to the plug to disconnect....of course I only spent a few minutes - will look at it when I have more time this weekend.

You get harness from underneath the inner fender liner, plug is very accessible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts