Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Tuffy Security Deck and have been enjoying the added security. Recently added some tie downs for cargo on top... I noticed that my tailgate itself is kind of bulging outward near the center of the tailgate... anyone else have this? If I look from the drivers side to the passengers side it's not straight...

Not sure if this is design or I need to work on the Tuffy deck a bit.

Thanks!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
You haven't added bigger wheels/tires, have you? Or you have been slamming the tailgate shut by the tire?

Some people have had issues with bulging from the spare being there. Maybe if you take a picture someone can help you figure out the exact cause.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, still on the stockers 255/75/17s Ssrs. These photos may exaggerate, but just wanting some opinions...

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Looks like it could be from the deck. Maybe panthermark or one of the other guys running that deck can tell you for sure. Hopefully they will see this soon!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So can I assume the tailgate is supposed to be straight?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I don't think mine looks like that....

If you are still with your jeep, could you take another picture with a straight edge on the inside, to try to show how much bulge there is? I could go check it against mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I added the same deck two weeks ago. I haven't noticed that on mine but I will check later today.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I just checked mine, opened the gate and held a straight edge up to the edge. There's about a 1/2" gap at the center. My 2014 has less than 1k miles on it, 100% stock.

Looks like that's normal.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like I need to adjust the deck and move it back a snudge... Currently the gate closes fine and isn't an restriction. Just called Tuffy too and sent them some pics

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just checked mine, opened the gate and held a straight edge up to the edge. There's about a 1/2" gap at the center. My 2014 has less than 1k miles on it, 100% stock.

Looks like that's normal.
x2. My 2014 definitely bows out. The edges and the gap between the body and tailgate on both sides look aligned. As long as your edges are aligned I think you're good. I suspect that just having something straight run across the tailgate area made it look like it was bowed more than you thought.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm, I will let you know what Tuffy says then, looks like it's not just me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am thinking of getting the Tuffy deck too. Can I ask, how do you install tie downs? Are there pre-drilled holes? Also how jar is it to remove the wall if you have something long you want to pass through?

·
Registered
989 Posts
hmmm, I will let you know what Tuffy says then, looks like it's not just me.
I think you're misreading the posts. I take them to mean that others, without a Tuffy deck, have bowed tailgates. One measured about 1/2" from straight at center.

If yours measures 1/2" straight from center, then it's probably how the tailgate is designed and you're just now noticing it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you're misreading the posts. I take them to mean that others, without a Tuffy deck, have bowed tailgates. One measured about 1/2" from straight at center.

If yours measures 1/2" straight from center, then it's probably how the tailgate is designed and you're just now noticing it.
Maybe I was, but that is my question.

Is the tailgate supposed to be "bowed," if it is, I think I'm fine, but if the gate is straight then I have some re-adjusting. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybe I was, but that is my question.

Is the tailgate supposed to be "bowed," if it is, I think I'm fine, but if the gate is straight then I have some re-adjusting. Thanks for clarifying.
I'm pretty sure the tailgate is supposed to be bowed. I don't have the tuffy deck, mine bows out about 1/2" at the center.. closes fine, seals fine, the sides gaps look good and are consistent.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am thinking of getting the Tuffy deck too. Can I ask, how do you install tie downs? Are there pre-drilled holes? Also how jar is it to remove the wall if you have something long you want to pass through?
It's very easy to take the wall out as its 4 thumb screws on the inside.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
The tail-gate bow is normal. I had it before I installed the Tuffy Deck Enclosure.
X2, tailgate was bowed prior to my Tuffy Deck installation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts