Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that is what the part is called. It is the bar that holds the tailgate open.

Previously the tailgate would open with a slight audible catch.

I have removed and remounted the spare tire and now the check rod has a really load snap when it reaches the end of its travel to hold open position.

Is this just coincidence or could something have happened to move the rod out of position?

Should I be lubricating this rod?

I searched for a parts diagram to see how this works, but was unsuccessful.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Just concerned that I broke something.

'15 2dr
stock wheel/carrier/bumper

TIA

ba

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine snaps pretty loud when it gets fully open. If you broke it, it would just be flopping around and doing nothing. They are apparently easy to break.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Tighten the mounting bolts. That's what fixed the noise & 'catch' on mine.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There is a TSB out regarding the tailgate retaining strap for 2012 thru 2014.
Attached below is the TSB for those visiting this thread who may be interested, or not as fortunate resolving this issue by tightening things up.

View attachment 2020873
Thanks for that. I wonder if there is a stronger replacement or a modification to make it better somehow? The TSB doesn't show a better strap that I can see. Maybe a cloth strap, like on the doors, that could tighten up just before the retainer gets to it's stop?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Interesting that the TSB refers to the application of a sealant between hinge and body to prevent corrosion. wonder if this sealant was used on all hinges from factory?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tighten the mounting bolts. That's what fixed the noise & 'catch' on mine.
That was the problem with mine too!!! Sheesh. Never noticed the loose bolts. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
As a side note, mine made the snapping sound too - when the rod snapped the plastic catch inside the body side mount. You can look inside mine and see the white plastic housing separate when it hits the end of the arm, the only reason my arm doesn't pop out anymore at this point is because the screw I put in the arm in the back catches and holds it in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This Fix Works! New Hinge is Much Stronger.

There is a TSB out regarding the tailgate retaining strap for 2012 thru 2014.
Attached below is the TSB for those visiting this thread who may be interested, or not as fortunate resolving this issue by tightening things up.

View attachment 2020873
I had this done to my 2013 JKU last year. It works perfectly. The new hinge is significantly better than the old hinge and will not fail. This is the correct fix for this problem. Don't mess around, get it fixed right. Remember it is the hinge that stops the door, not the strap!

I had to convince my dealer to fix the problem. Now there is a TSB and it is easy to get them to fix it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone know the torque spec for the 2 bolts on the tailgate side of the strap?

Thank you
ba

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had this done to my 2013 JKU last year. It works perfectly. The new hinge is significantly better than the old hinge and will not fail. This is the correct fix for this problem. Don't mess around, get it fixed right. Remember it is the hinge that stops the door, not the strap!

I had to convince my dealer to fix the problem. Now there is a TSB and it is easy to get them to fix it!
I'd really like to see a picture of the new hinge. Any chance?????? And I'm assuming it's not not under warrantee, so what is the cost?????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts