Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have gotten my jeep, the tailgate hasn't locked. When I put the key into the lock, it will not turn, closed or open. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the best way to go about fixing it?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
maybe a dumb question but are you sure it is the right key? If at sometime someone replaced tailgate or lock or even front doors and ignition, (though not as likely) the issue may be that it is the wrong key and not really anything wrong with the lock or the key...just the "wrong" key for that lock.

I guess I am saying since it has never worked how do you know it is the right one?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jp2611 said:
maybe a dumb question but are you sure it is the right key? If at sometime someone replaced tailgate or lock or even front doors and ignition, (though not as likely) the issue may be that it is the wrong key and not really anything wrong with the lock or the key...just the "wrong" key for that lock.

I guess I am saying since it has never worked how do you know it is the right one?
I have no idea. The key is definitely the original key, and it fits the glove box, doors, and ignition. The tailgate lock could have been changed at some point, but I doubt it.. I'm not sure how I would know if it was the right key or not, but I'm going to assume that it's just frozen up for now. Thanks for the suggestion man.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you haven't tried it already, I would just take off the plastic cover on the inside of the tailgate and try to turn the key. You can look and see if something is stuck or binding with the cover off. Also it may be frozen up. A little bit of graphite powder might do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts