Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 94 wrangler recently and the key does not work for the back. Or the other doors for that matter. I don't care to lock the jeep, but I would like to get the tailgate unlocked so I can open it. How do I go about opening it without the key? Any help would be great!

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Well, you could call a locksmith.... Do you have lock out service on your insurance?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
From the inside in back of the lock there is a panel with several screws, this should get you access to the lock. If that doesn't work, there is always removing the hinges. The lock mechanism is probably corroded on the doors too. Mine were all screwed up too. All work good now. clean and lube the locks and mechanisms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I took that back panel off and cleaned the crap out of the locking mech. This solved the problem. Try not to use WD40 on the locks. Over time it will solidify and goop up the lock making them unable to function. I would check out the locks on your doors too. I'd be willing to bet that they are totally corroded as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sometimes the key itself can become so worn down with age and use it will no longer work the lock cylinders but will still operate the ignition.
I would clean and lube the lock cylinders and the latches as suggested. If that doesn't work then take your Jeep's title to your local dealership and they can cut you a fresh key from your vin#. You will need the title to show proof of ownership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got done fixing mine. Problem was the arm connected to the back of the lock cylinder had come off. The key would turn but not lock or unlock. The plate over the lock/latch mechanism has 3 screws coming in from the side along with the ones on the face of the cover. Don't know how you are going to take the cover off with the hatch closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts