Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an "06 TJ, any ideas on how to keep the tailgate from closing when your not on level ground? I recently put a 31' tire on the spare tire carrier which made the situation worse as I expected. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's difficult getting stuff in and out when the tailgate wants to crush you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quadratec and maybe others sell a little thing that does that. I don't have it but I've seen it in the catalog

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bungie cord from fender to tailgate. Only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
642 Posts
$40 just to hold the tailgate open??
I got a small block of wood that goes against the tailgate hinge bolt and the hole in the tub side of the hinge.
Cost ---- free, if ya got some scrap wood sittin' around, and no holes to drill.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have an "06 TJ, any ideas on how to keep the tailgate from closing when your not on level ground? I recently put a 31' tire on the spare tire carrier which made the situation worse as I expected. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's difficult getting stuff in and out when the tailgate wants to crush you.
:D Park with the drivers side DOWN HILL! :rofl::rofl:

I like the block of wood idea too!

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
:D Park with the drivers side DOWN HILL! :rofl::rofl:

I like the block of wood idea too!
That's what I was gonna say...just turn the Jeep around...

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
This may not relate but my tailgate doesn't exactly "swing freely" so unless i'm on a steep incline the rust in the hinges will hold it where I let go :rofl:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Same idea with me haha, it takes alot of force to make that tailgate open and close, it's not going anywhere.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I just fabbed a little think to prop it open

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Not sure how to keep it open, but I do know that fingers can prevent it from closing all the way.:banghead:

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Not sure how to keep it open, but I do know that fingers can prevent it from closing all the way.:banghead:
OUCH:rofl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts