Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post on Wrangler Forum! I am coming over from the BMW forums as I just sold my modified 2009 328i for a 2012 Jeep Wrangler two-door.

The previous owner had a 35" tire mounted on the stock carrier for the 28k miles he owned it. The tailgate sags and looks to be bent under the bottom hinge. I decide to purchase the Teraflex tire carrier to help prevent the tailgate from completely falling apart. Today, I noticed that four of closets welds to the hinges have " broke ". How should I go about this? Should I just use the Teraflex tire carrier and hope the rest of the welds hold? The jeep is under warranty but I doubt I could get the dealer to replace the tailgate.
Hope I posted this in the right spot, thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hello, this is my first post on Wrangler Forum! I am coming over from the BMW forums as I just sold my modified 2009 328i for a 2012 Jeep Wrangler two-door. The previous owner had a 35" tire mounted on the stock carrier for the 28k miles he owned it. The tailgate sags and looks to be bent under the bottom hinge. I decide to purchase the Teraflex tire carrier to help prevent the tailgate from completely falling apart. Today, I noticed that four of closets welds to the hinges have " broke ". How should I go about this? Should I just use the Teraflex tire carrier and hope the rest of the welds hold? The jeep is under warranty but I doubt I could get the dealer to replace the tailgate. Hope I posted this in the right spot, thanks!
Did you buy it from the dealer? Or is there just still warranty on it? If you bought it from the dealer and traded in your vehicle. Then you have warranty on it. And that is not a new problem. They should have found that before and should have fixed it. If you just got it from the owner. No, they won't cover it. It's been damaged due to misuse. I would have the welds fixed. Without them, added strain to the other welds will cause them to break over time. The carrier may help. But it's still possible for them to break. Any body shop should be able to fix the welds. Unfortunately it won't be cheap. That prep, weld and paint etc. Previous owner should have read a book or two before doing something foolish like that. Sorry it happened to you. But don't let this put a bad taste in your mouth about jeeps!!! It's not the jeeps fault! Welcome to the forum and to the jeep life!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got it from private party. I think I will just go ahead and have a body shop fix the welds. Thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts