Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a used 15 sahara U/L with 10K miles. Did a test drive and noticed a noise coming from the rear. Not a big deal I thought because it is used and I know there will some some bugs that need attention. Now I have had it a week and this noise drives me crazy so I had the wife drive while I rode in the back and the noise seems to be coming from the latch that the tailgate attaches to. I cant make this noise occur unless the vehilcle is moving. It appears that the body torgues with the tailgate it allows it to move somewhat from the keeper the latch attaches to. Anyone else have this occur ? I have the balance of the warranty left and I suppose I can take it to the dealer to have this adjusted. I see that the keeper has some adjustment in it but the latch itself doesn't. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
May just be a bracket adjustment

I found that adjusting this angled plastic bracket tight into the latch stopped the rattling.
You won't have that metal flat plate on top, it's part of a side rack.

To adjust it, I loosened the two bolts just enough that I could move it by hand.
With the tail gate closed I pushed it in tight, then opened the gate and tightened down the bolts. Tail gate is now flush with the tub, and has a more solid closing sound too.
Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Awesome. Glad it worked out. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Man, this place is a great resource! I saw the question and thought hmm, might be tricky to figure out..then bam, first reply has the answer, solution implemented, solved same day. Impressed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts