Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think that some spot welds have broken inside my tailgate back before I had a carrier for my 35. Is there any way to fix these because it is extremely annoying every time I hit a bump it rattles. I have also thought about going to a junk yard and getting a whole new tailgate... What do you think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Replacing the tailgate will only be temporary. Over time it will break again. Best bet is to get a aftermarket tire carrier. Or bumper with a tire carrier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which tire carrier are you using?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also wondering what carrier you're using? I just installed the teraflex setup and love it. Feels like a completely new tail gate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If your tailgate is bearing any load, over time it will happen again. Did they break before or after the tire carrier was added? My tailgate was all sorts of messed up from a 33 and aftermarket rim. I got a tire carrier that keeps it off the gate completely and the rattles are gone. Do you have a picture of your current set up?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tailgate broke before the tire carrier because it had a 35 tire on it for two years. The reason I switched is because a friend backed into my tire and it cracked the stock carrier. So there has been a rough history on the tailgate. I have pictures of it in other threads of mine that you can search, I'll see if I can get one on though. Regardless, it does still put weight on the tailgate, but more so it wiggles it forward and backward because I built a slanted carrier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts