Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you with a jk and a little research know; the stock hinges on the tailgate are not strong enough to withstand the weight of a full size spare. What I'm reading on other forums is that the welds on the tailgate side of the hinges is what fails and after they break your tailgate sags, rattles. I am getting my spare in the next few days and it's going in the back of my 2dr- not a lot of space back there in the first place and now I won't be able to even fold down my back seat should I have the need to have passengers. What I'm asking is: is there a way I can reinforce the welds, take the weight of the tire off I them? Short of spending $500+ on a rear bumper w/ tire carrier? I know TF makes a reinforcement bracket that fits over hinges but for the price I might as well buy a new bumper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I ran a steel cable through my wheel around my spare carrier through my tailgate ( maybe through bumpstop holes or the vent ) and around to the back of the tailgate and cinched it tight?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How big a tire are you running?

The TF adjustable mount is about $250 and adjustable for a tight fit up to 37 and bolts into the stock carrier holes. One benefit is that if you do end up needing to upgrade the hinge or switch to a new bumper and swing out tire carrier I think it will work with both.*

*It's designed to work with the TF Hinged Tire Carrier so no issue there but TF excludes it for some aftermarket swing out carriers (IIRC AEV is one).

The hinged carrier by itself is the other $400 of the total $650 for the TF carrier. Buying it in pieces as needed may make sense for you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I feel like there is a lack of detail that is not being considered here.

It sounds like you're worried that a stock wheel/tire will break the carrier? If that is the case, it is very unlikely.

If you are talking about an aftermarket wheel with larger than stock tires however, then that is a whole different answer altogether.

·
Registered
830 Posts
... I know TF makes a reinforcement bracket that fits over hinges but for the price I might as well buy a new bumper.
It doesn't fit over the hinges, completely replaces them.

I just installed the TF HD hinge yesterday, very nice item. Only complaint I have is it moves the stock carrier out and they don't provide new bump stops (and you lose the passenger side stop completely). However I'm running stock sport tires and it doesn't move much at all anyway.

My primary reasons were for the hi-lift mount and I have a basket that attaches to a mount that fits under the spare tire. Wanted to be able to carry cooler and 'stuff' and passengers without using a hitch basket which would affect departure angle.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I feel like there is a lack of detail that is not being considered here. It sounds like you're worried that a stock wheel/tire will break the carrier? If that is the case, it is very unlikely. If you are talking about an aftermarket wheel with larger than stock tires however, then that is a whole different answer altogether.
I am actually just picking up my first new jeep. 2014 unlimited sport. And I was wondering this exactly when I saw the thread. The stock tire won't cause damage I'm sure... Right? He is talking about larger aftermarket tires right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah sorry I have 35" km2s on 15" level 8 trackers

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am actually just picking up my first new jeep. 2014 unlimited sport. And I was wondering this exactly when I saw the thread. The stock tire won't cause damage I'm sure... Right? He is talking about larger aftermarket tires right?
The stock full sized spare that will come with your Jeep is 100% fine; no worries.

Putting oversized tires (heavier) on the stock carrier is where you can run into issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just curious, how large can you run back there before you encounter issues? I'm guessing my 35" Mastercraft Courser ATX on Dick Cepek aluminum wheels will eventually cause problems?

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
In my opinion it isn't worth it to risk your rear gate. I wouldn't even consider putting a 35" tire on it. I would budget for an aftermarket tire carrier if I was going to run a 35" spare. There have been DIY tire reinforcement jobs on the forum. See post #9 for Jimbo's set up. Please note it is a 33" tire and he has an aftermarket bumper. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/factory-spare-tire-carrier-how-big-will-it-support-80192.html

If you didn't want to spend $1000+ on a rear bumper/tire carrier combo, there are a few tire carriers that work with the OEM rear bumper.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have the tera hinge and carrier. Great product. However for a large tire i wouldnt recommend just the adjustable carrier. Even with the tire sucked in hitting the bumpstops it stills rattled a ton. Now it barely moves. And you can suck it right onto the hinge itself as a bumpstop. Get both and be done with it. Its a great piece.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I upgraded to some 295/70/18's on my stock wheels a couple of months ago and had to buy something to mitigate the weight and width of the new tire. After tons of research and recommendations I ended up with only the Teraflex AdjustableTire Carrier w/o hinge. It's my daily driver and I have been wheeling with it and there is zero rattling. One of the most important things is no matter what mitigation spare option you go with is making sure the wheel and tire are tight against the bump stops whether being the OEM ones or a set of Daystars. Ratting can cause a very expensive repair/replacement.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I want to know is, after we add all the extra weight, bounce it around for awhile, what fails? What do the TF brackets do?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe got a little carried away and started taking stuff apart

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Maybe got a little carried away and started taking stuff apart
The TF Hinge replaces stock and is more heavy duty so it can take the extra weight of the tire. Heavier tire on the stock carrier puts more weight on the stock hinges which gets transferred to the tailgate and can cause droop over time and you'll have issues closing the tailgate.

Hope you supported the tailgate before removing the hinges; otherwise you're going to have alignment issues putting it back together.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What I want to know is, after we add all the extra weight, bounce it around for awhile, what fails? What do the TF brackets do?
The stock hinges attach at 4 points and not very far from the hinge point. The TF item attaches to those same points and 8 bolts of the factory tire carrier (presumably something similar when you get the TF tire carrier). The point is that the tailgate load is spread out over a much larger area on the tailgate itself. The 6 bolts that hold the hinge to the tub are in an area that's heavily reinforced.

People have reported that the tailgate will distort down and not close properly when you get too much tire on it. The TF hinge should prevent that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The stock hinges attach at 4 points and not very far from the hinge point. The TF item attaches to those same points and 8 bolts of the factory tire carrier (presumably something similar when you get the TF tire carrier). The point is that the tailgate load is spread out over a much larger area on the tailgate itself. The 6 bolts that hold the hinge to the tub are in an area that's heavily reinforced.

People have reported that the tailgate will distort down and not close properly when you get too much tire on it. The TF hinge should prevent that.
This was very helpful thanks. I can't figure out why nobody has tried to fab something like this. if it is only a matter of a bracket, hinge and another bracket. I think anyone with a welder can get a couple heavy duty barn door hinges and some scrap steel, drill some holes in it weld together and save $200. I'm going to drive myself crazy thinking about this. Good thing I have a three day weekend

·
Registered
830 Posts
This was very helpful thanks. I can't figure out why nobody has tried to fab something like this. if it is only a matter of a bracket, hinge and another bracket. I think anyone with a welder can get a couple heavy duty barn door hinges and some scrap steel, drill some holes in it weld together and save $200. I'm going to drive myself crazy thinking about this. Good thing I have a three day weekend
The problem is that you have to deal with a very uneven surface. The tailgate isn't just flat, it has curves and the OEM hinges are 'inset' into the surface. Fabricating something would require a fair bit of work. Certainly doable I'd think... but not a project I'd take on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts