Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 JKU was rear ended this past Saturday night. Guy basically nailed the spare which cracked the tire carrier, skuffed the bumper a bit, and put a slight indentation on the tail gate. Fortunately I already have a check on the way to cover damages with the exception of the tailgate. The adjuster wrote the estimate based on hours to repair with the caveat that if the whole thing needed replacement we could submit a supplemental claim. The question I have is about the integrity of the tail gate. It only has the small indentation and opens and shuts effortlessly. I wander if I teally need to mess with it at all. On another note, another note, I have a new rear bumper and tire carrier in the way.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
I need to have a friend build me a rear bumper. He had a '76 Chevy 4x4 PU that he had build a bumper for out of 1/4" thick 6"x6" square steel and cut and shaped it. Then he welded it to his frame. He was rear ended by a VW. It totaled the VW and when he was asked about the damages to his truck, it was $1.29 for a new can of paint to paint over the scratches. I wish the bumper extended further back than the tires on these Jeeps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can you live with the small indention? Sometimes it is a crap shoot with a body shop bondo-ing a body panel and then getting the paint to match and hold up as well as the factory paint.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny thing is that this exact thing happened to my wife's 2012 a few months ago. The adjust or write out the estimate to replace the tail gate which we did. He said there was a support bracket inside the tail gate that was probably compromised. He may have just been helping me out and it really didn't need the replacement. I don't know of any way to know unless you open the thing up and inspect but I'd rather not do it if if the general consensus is that it is probably fine with just a dent. I don't mind the cosmetic aspect as it's very small and will be covered up by the new tire carrier anyway.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
IMHO, replace the tailgate. Always replace the tailgate.

Without even looking at it, I am sure that some of the spot welds broke due to the impact.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm with Walt, definitely replace since you have the tire on the gate. I got rear ended and he hit the bottom of the tire, I could see where it visibly weakened/damaged the spot welds for the tire carrier, but ins didn't repair cover it due to the 33" tire. If they're willing to cover it, ID take advantage of it if I were you

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
The problem with even a slightly tweaked tailgate is that the hardtop or softtop bar wont seal very well, and you will end up getting water inside.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have a new JCR bumper and tire carrier on the way. At least I'm not worried about that. It does seem to make the most sense replacing the tail gate just be certain. Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts