Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2004 TJ and just replaced the stock taillights with Amazon LED taillights. They work great and are brighter than stock, however, they emit a low output when the Jeep is completely off. During install I removed what looked like useless relays. Are they relays or diodes of some sort? Anyway I will probably clean them up and put them back on, but they did t seem to be connected to much of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,531 Posts
May have been a way to tie in trailer lights (just a splice in a box)

Not a relay

Possibly a diode bridge

Any info on other sides of the little black cubes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May have been a way to tie in trailer lights (just a splice in a box)

Not a relay

Possibly a diode bridge

Any info on other sides of the little black cubes

There’s nothing in the other side. I’ll have to put these back in. There are a few wires in wire looms that go nowhere and look like original wiring and just dangle there. I hope putting them back in does something good.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Are there any kind on markings on the back?

The low output when the Jeep is off means there in a current in the line. I may not have been enough to light the incandescent bulbs to a level you could see it, but the LEDs are more efficient. Definitely seems like you have a wiring issue, and if you let the Jeep sit long enough, you would probably have a dead battery.

You need to test that circuit and see what voltage you are getting. to the lights when the Jeep is off. Is that current present when the Jeep is running but the lights are off?

Reactions: silvercoupe97

·
Registered
14,531 Posts
Could also be resistor block to make standard flasher work with led

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
But two inputs?

OP - did the Jeep come with the standard incandescent Jeep tail lights or were there already some LED tail lights installed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But two inputs?

OP - did the Jeep come with the standard incandescent Jeep tail lights or were there already some LED tail lights installed?
It originally came with incandescent taillights. I will have to reinstall those two blocks tonight just to make sure. I agree questioning the two inputs. One of them connected to the light output (parking/brake) only. While the other had the light output and something else that went to the other side.
I’m sure there is voltage there because the lights are very dimly lit, but still lit when the Jeep is completely turned off.

I also installed the EP26 turn signal relay. There’s no more hyper flashing.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
I wonder if those were set up for when the Jeep was flat towed. One wire came from the Jeep and the other came from the two vehicle and diodes (not a full bridge) keep the Jeep feed from going back into the tow vehicle and vice versa.

Where are those connections made - behind the tail lights?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I responded to you in this...my bad. I know I did in my head :D. Yes, those are behind the taillights. Directly behind the passenger taillights...what is that? Looks like it’s fuel related.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Quote: "...I’m sure there is voltage there because the lights are very dimly lit, but still lit when the Jeep is completely turned off...."

They must be getting some current from an "always-on" circuit that is not controlled by the light switch. Perhaps some back-feeding going on. Grounds may be involved.

·
Registered
2003 Rubicon, manual trans, Atlas transfer case, Nth Degree Mobility kit and more...
14 Posts
Sound to me like a bad brake light switch. Unplug it and see if the lights go out.

Have a sand rail, was out in the garage one night and noticed a very dim glow from the tail lights. Went to the brake light switch and it was very warm. Unplugged it and replaced it the next day. Problem solved.

Al in Tucson

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,435 Posts
Sound to me like a bad brake light switch. Unplug it and see if the lights go out.

Have a sand rail, was out in the garage one night and noticed a very dim glow from the tail lights. Went to the brake light switch and it was very warm. Unplugged it and replaced it the next day. Problem solved.

Al in Tucson
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
2003 Rubicon, manual trans, Atlas transfer case, Nth Degree Mobility kit and more...
14 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Ever go to Box Canyon in Florence? Was there last week with a bunch of guys in side by sides. I was in my sand rail.

I'm out every Sunday. Going to Patagonia right now.

Al in Tucson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts