Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Did some wheeling this weekend and took a hit on both the track bar and the spot on the drag link where the tie rod connects to it. I am having trouble seeing it, but can you see where something is bent. It's obvious that something is...just not sure what. The tie rod end is now rubbing on the track bar bolt as u can see in the pic. Ideas? Need other pics?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It looks to me like the drag link is bent based on how it's sitting. Looks like it's bent where the tierod attaches to the draglink. Looks bent inward toward the axle and up. Here's a pic of mine with Currie steering.

View attachment 171375

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moabrubi said:
It looks to me like the drag link is bent based on how it's sitting. Looks like it's bent where the tierod attaches to the draglink. Looks bent inward toward the axle and up. Here's a pic of mine with Currie steering.
That's what I'm needin! I was tryin to find a pic online of the steering to compare mine to, but no luck. I was assuming that it was probably the drag link. I appreciate the help

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the currie website I believe it recommends at least a 4" lift or at least 2" of bump stomp extension over stock. I have approx. 2.5" suspension and 1.25" of body lift. Can someone explain the "need" for the lift because I am assuming the amount of body lift doesn't matter?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Cons_Table said:
According to the currie website I believe it recommends at least a 4" lift or at least 2" of bump stomp extension over stock. I have approx. 2.5" suspension and 1.25" of body lift. Can someone explain the "need" for the lift because I am assuming the amount of body lift doesn't matter?
The pic I posted is with a 2" lift. I'm not sure why Currie says you need a 4" lift to get it on. Mine when on no issues at all. I know that on a stock height rig the steering stabilizer hardware will rub the tierod.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pic I posted is with a 2" lift. I'm not sure why Currie says you need a 4" lift to get it on. Mine when on no issues at all. I know that on a stock height rig the steering stabilizer hardware will rub the tierod.
Perfect...ya from what I have read it will normally work with less lift, and if anything you might need to trim a few threads on the drag link (that appears to be what is long).

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
The bend in your drag link has been reduced and needs to be pulled back out. You'd be better off just getting a new drag link or upgrading completely to more stout components.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Perfect...ya from what I have read it will normally work with less lift, and if anything you might need to trim a few threads on the drag link (that appears to be what is long).
My saggy 2" lift still had a few turns before needing to be trimmed. You should be good.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
The issue is the big adjuster on the draglink that connects to the pitman TRE. The two end can bottom out and touch each other which stops you from being able to get the steering wheel centered.

If I know I am installing it on a low lift, it is much easier to take it apart and trim a small amount off of each end before it is installed.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The issue is the big adjuster on the draglink that connects to the pitman TRE. The two end can bottom out and touch each other which stops you from being able to get the steering wheel centered.

If I know I am installing it on a low lift, it is much easier to take it apart and trim a small amount off of each end before it is installed.
Sounds good, Blaine. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So kind of an odd question, but will a stock TJ TRE fit the hole in the currie drag link? Cuz what I have now is an iron rock offroad tie rod upgrade that is holding up pretty good and takes stock TREs...I understand that this would not be ideal, but it would put me that much closer to a full currie set up, then in the future I can upgrade to the currie tie rod as well. Imped? Blaine?

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
So kind of an odd question, but will a stock TJ TRE fit the hole in the currie drag link? Cuz what I have now is an iron rock offroad tie rod upgrade that is holding up pretty good and takes stock TREs...I understand that this would not be ideal, but it would put me that much closer to a full currie set up, then in the future I can upgrade to the currie tie rod as well. Imped? Blaine?
Yes, it will fit just fine. The way you can tell is the Currie tie rod can be flipped end for end and installed. That means the pin that fits the hole in the knuckle will also fit the hole in the Currie draglink.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, it will fit just fine. The way you can tell is the Currie tie rod can be flipped end for end and installed. That means the pin that fits the hole in the knuckle will also fit the hole in the Currie draglink.
That is kind of what I was thinking because I didn't think there was any drilling involved on the knuckle side to accomodate a lareger TRE. Although not the optimal fix...it will put me much closer to the full Currie setup. I appreciate your help guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts