Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Craigslist is littered with take off parts. I see several sets of springs and shocks off Rubicons. Some of them say swapping springs net you a 1" lift. Is this true? One listing is for $75 for a set of rubi springs with 1400 miles.

Or would I be better off just doing a TF coil leveling kit instead? I'm hesitant to go too far since I'm happy with the MPG's. I just want a little more height between the frame and the ground.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You'll only get lift if you have a 2dr and change over to JKU 4dr coils.
Rubicons have the same coils as their 2 and 4 dr sport and Sahara counterparts. I think the exception would be the Rubi 10A.
Ignore the "Rubicon" and look at the last 2 numbers on the part tag.
I bought a set of 17/59 (17 front / 59 rear) coils off of ebay for $75. I got 1.5" of lift front and rear, with my spacers I now have 4" in the front and 3" rear and sit perfectly level.
So if you have a 4 dr you will probably gain little or no lift changing coils. Hers a pic after the new coils.
Looks like u have a JKU already. If you have 17/58 coils and change to a 19/60 you may gain 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Best to spend money on aftermarket coils or add some urethane spacers if your looking for a little lift. Rubicon shocks are a little more superior to sport. Those might be worth buying.

Attachments

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yeah, it all depends on what you currently have. If you have a 4 door with a hard top, it probably isn't worth the time to go to Rubi shocks. They might not be any stiffer/taller than what you have...and even if they are...it may only be by a little bit. You will get the best lift if you have a 2 door on weak springs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Kinda what I figured. I don't like doing things twice and not sure how or if we will build our JKU up or not. Already have too many toys... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Lol changed mine 3 times and a buddies once. I Can do it in my sleep now.
How easy is it to swap out springs? My new Willys has 13/56 on a 2 dr. Considering 18/60but don't know how easy it truly is for a rookie? Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
How easy is it to swap out springs? My new Willys has 13/56 on a 2 dr. Considering 18/60but don't know how easy it truly is for a rookie? Thanks.
Just watch the brake lines. We had to get a bar and "pry" the springs into place. But overall the change went well. I paid $150 for a set of 18/60 springs and shocks from RubiTrux. Great service. And the parts were pretty much new. They said they came off a Rubicon that had recently left the dealership and was brought in for a lift kit. If I remember correctly, I had 16/56's before the upgrade. Here's a picture of the difference. The middle is the after and the two ends are the before. The only change was swapping out the shocks and springs. It's a little stiffer ride but it's not at all unbearable.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Just watch the brake lines. We had to get a bar and "pry" the springs into place. But overall the change went well. I paid $150 for a set of 18/60 springs and shocks from RubiTrux. Great service. And the parts were pretty much new. They said they came off a Rubicon that had recently left the dealership and was brought in for a lift kit. If I remember correctly, I had 16/56's before the upgrade. Here's a picture of the difference. The middle is the after and the two ends are the before. The only change was swapping out the shocks and springs. It's a little stiffer ride but it's not at all unbearable.
Thanks very much. Looks great and love how you did the picture!

·
Registered
501 Posts
love how you did the picture!
My brother and I were halfway through the change and I realized I didn't measure the before with a tape measure. Rather than undoing what we had done so far just to measure it, I decided a before and after would be acceptable. Plus I think it gives a more visual view of the change as opposed to just numbers.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Thanks very much. Looks great and love how you did the picture!
Mr. Handsome is going to hate me soon, for giving you all these mod ideas! :rofl2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts