Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take off the rear lunchbox locker on my 94 2.5 YJ and I’ve been wondering if removing the locker and installing the spider gears is an easy job or should I take it to a shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yes it's a simple job..
No gear setup needed.... Would take me about 15 min... most hands on types should be able to do it in about an hour.

·
Registered
908 Posts
It's pretty simple job no special tools needed except maybe a small drift and a good sized pry bar.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just seeking Jeep knowledge here, but why would someone want to do this? Lunchbox locker is basically a LSD correct?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just seeking Jeep knowledge here, but why would someone want to do this? Lunchbox locker is basically a LSD correct?

I daily my Yj, and sometimes when turning and accelerating it will lock and make a loud pop, also happens off a red light, or in stop and go traffic. I’ve had it for a year and this sudden lock can cause premature damage to other parts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A lunchbox locker is a locker not a lsd... they can be very annoying bordering on dangerous on the road....
Don't get me wrong they can be and are operated on road every day without issue but not everyone loves em...

I had one in my yj for a few yeaes and now it's in my toolbox.... My 4 cyl tj has a full detroit locker in it and eventually I'll be removing it too. I'll miss it offroad but not on the street.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Why don't you like the Detroit in the rear?

YJAlex, a lunchbox locker in a D35 is not a good idea anyway.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Same reason I didn't like the lunchbox in the other jeep...

Auto lockers are annoying on the street...
Pop bang wiggle chirp

That said, I bought that tj for $500 and it had the nearly new $700 detroit in it so I'm not THAT upset about it lol.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Same reason I didn't like the lunchbox in the other jeep...

Auto lockers are annoying on the street...
Pop bang wiggle chirp

That said, I bought that tj for $500 and it had the nearly new $700 detroit in it so I'm not THAT upset about it lol.
Guess I'm just used to the idiosyncrasies of full lockers in the rear. Been running Detroit's for a long time front and/or rear.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Guess I'm just used to the idiosyncrasies of full lockers in the rear. Been running Detroit's for a long time front and/or rear.
10 years ago I used to be used to them.... now I'm sick of em.... time and aging can change a person's viewpoint.... example, I've driven nothing but manual trans vehicles for almost 20 years and while I used to love it I'm getting tired of shifting now and starting to migrate to autos...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10 years ago I used to be used to them.... now I'm sick of em.... time and aging can change a person's viewpoint.... example, I've driven nothing but manual trans vehicles for almost 20 years and while I used to love it I'm getting tired of shifting now and starting to migrate to autos...

Well said

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I want to take off the rear lunchbox locker on my 94 2.5 YJ and I’ve been wondering if removing the locker and installing the spider gears is an easy job or should I take it to a shop.

Took mine off with a bolt cutter, easy job.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if I have to take out the carrier?

·
Registered
908 Posts
More than likely, no big deal really just be sure to put any spacers back in the sides they came from and mark the bearing caps "Top L" and "Top R".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More than likely, no big deal really just be sure to put any spacers back in the sides they came from and make the bearing caps "Top L" and "Top R".

Thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
For my Jeep, I’m building it as a street friendly trial rig. It’ll be used for adventures and to go skiing so 4WD will be used on snow and icy roads at times. With that said I went with a TruTrac limited slip in the rear and eventually will put a selectable locker in front. Probably an Eaton E-Locker for easy of install and no air lines to deal with or fail.

Reactions: Gottagofast

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I’ve been thinking about the steps to remove the locker and install the spider gears, and I’m stuck on if I have to pull out the axles and how to do it with drum brakes?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts