Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We just bought a brand new, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Rubicon and wanted to test it out and see how capable it is off road. So we took it to Smiley Rock Trail in northern Arizona.

The trail begins in Jerome, Arizona which was once known as “The Wickedest Town in America”. Originally established as a copper mining town that was booming in the 1900's through 1920's, it was a rowdy Wild West town full of gambling, gunfights, alcohol, drugs, and prostitutes. It is a now a revived ghost town with strong influences from its past days as a Wild West town merging together with more modern eclectic and artsy vibe.

As you hop onto the start of Smiley Rock Trail, you’ll pass popular tourist attraction sites such as historic Gold King Mine and Ghost Town. Continue on the relatively flat but scenic route for about 16 miles until you reach Martin Canyon. This canyon is why the trail is rated as “Difficult” - boulder fields litter the narrow canyon making tire placement and high clearance vital to avoiding underbody damage.

Overall, the stock Gladiator Rubicon did great off roading and drove away with only a few scrapes underneath.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Pretty cool!

We just bought a brand new, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Rubicon and wanted to test it out and see how capable it is off road. So we took it to Smiley Rock Trail in northern Arizona.

The trail begins in Jerome, Arizona which was once known as “The Wickedest Town in America”. Originally established as a copper mining town that was booming in the 1900's through 1920's, it was a rowdy Wild West town full of gambling, gunfights, alcohol, drugs, and prostitutes. It is a now a revived ghost town with strong influences from its past days as a Wild West town merging together with more modern eclectic and artsy vibe.

As you hop onto the start of Smiley Rock Trail, you’ll pass popular tourist attraction sites such as historic Gold King Mine and Ghost Town. Continue on the relatively flat but scenic route for about 16 miles until you reach Martin Canyon. This canyon is why the trail is rated as “Difficult” - boulder fields litter the narrow canyon making tire placement and high clearance vital to avoiding underbody damage.

Overall, the stock Gladiator Rubicon did great off roading and drove away with only a few scrapes underneath.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those look like some awesome trails and the G handled it efficiently.

Patagonia MT's are getting some major love right now, maybe you guys should try them out and see what they can do - I'd be interested to see some quality videos of how they perform (or don't). And always love the old school KC's on the windshield pillars! :drinks:

Sam

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look like some awesome trails and the G handled it efficiently.

Patagonia MT's are getting some major love right now, maybe you guys should try them out and see what they can do - I'd be interested to see some quality videos of how they perform (or don't). And always love the old school KC's on the windshield pillars! :drinks:

Sam
@ToyoMojo thanks for your tire suggestion, we'll definitely consider it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Things I learned:
1. KC is based in Williams! I had no clue!
2. I don't think I want Wildpeaks anymore after watching them slip on the easy stuff. :(
3. I have to try that trail.

Reactions: KC_Randy

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
When aired down,the Wildpeak AT3W is an excellent trail tire. I ran the Wildpeak AT3W all over the rockiest Baja trails earlier this year (during the rainiest desert winter) and traction was never an issue. While I did give up obvious traction in muddy conditions which were regularly encountered along the trail, places like Matomi Wash, Cañon Jaquegel, Mission Impossible and Calamajue Trail were no match for the AT3W. The real test was the Pioneer Trail outside of Gonzaga Bay with it's massive bouldershrewn rock gardens. My TJ Rubicon walked and crawled everywhere I pointed the Jeep.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When aired down,the Wildpeak AT3W is an excellent trail tire. I ran the Wildpeak AT3W all over the rockiest Baja trails earlier this year (during the rainiest desert winter) and traction was never an issue. While I did give up obvious traction in muddy conditions which were regularly encountered along the trail, places like Matomi Wash, Cañon Jaquegel, Mission Impossible and Calamajue Trail were no match for the AT3W. The real test was the Pioneer Trail outside of Gonzaga Bay with it's massive bouldershrewn rock gardens. My TJ Rubicon walked and crawled everywhere I pointed the Jeep.
@TheDesertOutlaw you definitely tested those tires. Sounds you had an epic good time with them.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
9 days of punishing usage. Mud, sand, rocks, everything. I haven't had much time to test my Gladiator due to work and taking care of family. As the weather cools, I plan on checking out Big Bear, Truckhaven, Anza Borrego, and Joshua Tree/Old Dale.

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts
watching the video it looks like the tires were at max psi. put them down to 15-18psi next time and you won't slip near as much and a lot more comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts