Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get my hard doors off, and they will not budge! I am assuming they have never been off before, any suggestions on how to get them off?! Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
go get a can of freeze off from your local auto parts store. Use the freezae off as said on bottle. When you are ready to take the door off as per the instructions simple grab the door on the bottom close ti the hinge amd on the other side from the hinge. Lift the door up as even as u can while you move the door open and closed ( just move back and forth a fot or so). Keep working the door as you raise. The let go of the door and push it back down. Then start again. it is hard the 1st time and gets much easier.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Freeze off works 10x better then any other product like it. Screw pb and all them. get the freeze off and it will work

·
Registered
400 Posts
Place a floor jack under the door by the hinge and use that to help lift it off. A block of wood will keep the door from getting damaged.

·
Registered
128 Posts
freeze off or blaster will work. Both my bolts on both doors both snapped off and still wouldnt come off, blaster helped alot. Also try some different angles to get them off, my drivers side door hinges are alittle bent and need some work to get them off. I recommend putting white lithium grease on the hinges when putting them back on, it really helps them come out smooth when removing them after aplication. The grease will also prevent any further rusting if any

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Place a floor jack under the door by the hinge and use that to help lift it off...
Be careful when using a floor jack to help remove your doors.
Once the door begins to move, it won't take much at that point to completely remove the door.

If you're not careful, the door can/will fly upwards then fall to the floor, thereby damaging the door.

Like others have said, the 1st time is the hardest. It becomes really easy to remove them, once they have been removed that 1st time.

I think my full doors were never removed before I purchased my jeep.
It was a PITA to remove them. But, once I did, now every time, they come off very easily.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If the doors have never been off, there will be a "collar" or ridge of old paint and rust on the bottom of the hinge pin below the hinge. Get a small file and clean that off and the doors will lift off easily.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Also i've found that the closer your hand is to the hinge the easier they are to come off. Plus a regular door with no power anything ways 60-70lbs

·
Registered
831 Posts
Also i've found that the closer your hand is to the hinge the easier they are to come off. Plus a regular door with no power anything ways 60-70lbs
^^^This is the "trick" that works for me. Roll the window down, disconnect the limit strap, from the outside of the door I put on hand thru the window and hold onto the slam-it strap and the other is on the bottom of the door close to the hinge. First time I had to wiggle the door a bit and spray a little WD40 to coax it out.

One other piece of advice: Know where you are going to put it! It's heavy and awkward and I wish I had the garage door open and a space cleared before hand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
^^^This is the "trick" that works for me. Roll the window down, disconnect the limit strap, from the outside of the door I put on hand thru the window and hold onto the slam-it strap and the other is on the bottom of the door close to the hinge. First time I had to wiggle the door a bit and spray a little WD40 to coax it out.

One other piece of advice: Know where you are going to put it! It's heavy and awkward and I wish I had the garage door open and a space cleared before hand.
LOL on forgetting to have the door open! A small but important step!

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I too had trouble with taking my full doors off for the first time. I had to resort to using a pneumatic floor jack to help in the process. However, I didn't place the jack under the door. My method was a little different.

Note: I'm assuming here that you have sprayed the hinge and pins with your lubricant of choice.

Open the door just enough to allow for it to raise up and clear the door surrounds when it is able to lift out of the hinges. It doesn't have to be 90 degrees. Only open an couple inches or so.

Loosen the nuts on the lower door pins a couple turns only. Do not remove them. You can remove the upper nuts.

Place the jack below the bottom hinge of the door and use a piece of wood vertically between the lower door pin nut and jack. I used a length of closet rod.

Using the jack slowly apply upwards pressure to the nut until it breaks free. Once it moves apply more lubricant.

Lower the jack. If the door remains in place and does not fall back down swing the door open and closed to work the lubricant down into the hinge.

Repeat as necessary until the door moves freely up and down in it's hinge without using the jack. Now remove the hinge pin nuts.

You should now be able to lift the door up and down while swinging it open and closed. Do this and remove the door.

Check your pins for surface rust. My door pins had some and I removed it with some fine (400) Emory cloth. I also ran a soft nylon pipe cleaner through the door hinge a couple of times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts