Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions, my Jeep seems to have been driven taking off in 2nd gear, does anyone else do this, or what do you think?

·
Registered
431 Posts
How can you tell? I have done this, but completely on accident once in a while.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
How would you be able to tell if your Jeep had been driven the way you describe? Anyway, depends on the gearing too, I can start off in second fairly easily with out riding the clutch. If it is geared low then it is not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I will start off in second gear if I am facing downhill or I am able to be "rolling" a bit instead of totally stopping. And that's with the 4 banger.

tomslusher

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've got a stock LJ with the 4.0...always take off in 2nd gear.

First time I drove stick (in a cage) was with a cousin's Dodge Ram and Cummins turbo-diesel. I accidentally took off in 4th with that thing once! Didn't stall it! Feathered the crap out of that clutch though.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I will start off in second gear if I am facing downhill or I am able to be "rolling" a bit instead of totally stopping. And that's with the 4 banger.

tomslusher
Same here with an i6. I've always done it with manuals since you don't need anymore clutch than if you were shifting from 1st to 2nd while going downhill.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I start off in 2nd all the time. I consider 1st to be too low for the street. The 6 spd, combined with the Rubicon's transfer case, is well suited to off-road use in 1st gear.
In fact, 1st gear in low range, I bet I can walk along side faster than the Jeep will travel.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd use first myself :wavey:

I get a kick out of the gal across the street starting out in 3rd with her Corvette. It kind of lurches :D

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I also start out in second gear. Most of the area here is pretty flat, but if i happen to be stopped on a hill, then i will take off in 1st. My jeep is stock with 3:73s for gearing, 4.0 with a 5speed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not only do I often start from a stop in 2nd, I frequently skip gears unless I'm towing. I'll typically go from 2nd to 4th to 5th. If the uphill start is steep, I'll start in 1st then skip to 3rd, et c.

*Thread drift: Trann'y braking anyone? Anyone... Bueller? :punk:

*Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not only do I often start from a stop in 2nd, I frequently skip gears unless I'm towing. I'll typically go from 2nd to 4th to 5th. If the uphill start is steep, I'll start in 1st then skip to 3rd, et c.
could be wrong here, but isnt skipping gears a bad thing? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts