Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on expedition with my two door JK and decided to get it weighed at the public scale with the full kit of gear, camping equipment, gas, etc. The rear seat was out.
Per the Toledo scale - 5,220 pounds without passengers.

2012 GVWR (2 door) 5,000 pounds
2012 curb weight 3,865 pounds
Cargo + passengers allowed 1,135 pounds

I couldn't believe it! I thought I was carrying only about 500 pounds of gear. Turns out I was right. When I got home, unloaded everything inside, removed the expedition stuff outside (rack, jack, rotopax, etc) and converted back to the daily drive - the local scale said 4,700 pounds (full fuel but no aux fuel), no passengers, no rear seat.

So the problem is in my build. The lifts, wheels, tires, bumpers, winches, etc., add up fast and more than we might expect.

I think we are OK from a safety standpoint because of our heavier duty coils, shocks, wheels and wider stance, but I’m not so certain about this now.

Comments and personal experiences?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think that's a great rig and wouldn't change a thing, that's exactly what I'm aiming for in my build. Let me ask you what rack it is you have there.
Oh and to the topic, as you say with the heavier rated suspension and all I Donny think we have to worry too much, it's harder one the gas mileage but I don't think anyone that is building it like you are expects to get good economy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
just my initial thought, but the GVWR on the door jamb is for a factory stock vehicle. im sure the aftermarket suspension parts which are generally bigger and beefer ultimatley bump up the GVWR as well as different ring/pinion sets. look at two new trucks for example. they could be identical in nearly every way, but change the factory gear ratio and the GVWR increases with the steeper geared vehicle.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You cannot change the GVWR or tow capacity no matter you do, from a liability standpoint I am not sure being a little over GVWR is a big deal.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yeah there's more to it than coils. You've got bushings, fasteners, axle capacities, bearings, the whole works that leads to how "heavy duty" a vehicle is. That and brakes and chassis. But yes, the weight adds up fast.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Might be wrong, but isn't the most limiting factor in gross weight the tires??? Either way, I'm really not concerned.
Troy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive always been concerned with the GVWR... i want to haul more gear without a trailer and actually have 4 grown adults ride in a JKU.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rack is a Yakima with their Megabasket on the crossbars.

I spoke to a local shop that does a lot of builds and their opinion is the weight doesn't really matter that much outside of gas mileage decline. Most of the heavy builds have more than enough beef in the suspensions and tires to handle the extra loads in their humble opinion. They did say I had to really watch the center of gravity and be sure the lighter camping stuff goes overhead and heavy gear bags and water stay as low as possible.

In regards to hauling more gear, I found the best thing ever is adding some kind of shelf. Here's mine below.

I'm curious how many people have actually been to the scale and their reaction. If you have, post your actual weight and if you were surprised.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts