Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for months possibly ordering a new JL. Started looking at the two doors cuz I really love them but realized functionality of the four-door is just so much more sensible. This will be a personal vehicle / work truck and it's one of the few SUVs I can fit the boxed product that I pick up at one of my manufacturers. Most SUVs don't have a large enough rear opening but I'm burning the wheels off my cargo van and really don't have a daily driver right now as my 99 2 door Tahoe is getting pretty tired (old). Here's my dilemma. A lot of what I read and even a good friend of mine is trying to talk me out of Jeeps. He said their company operates a ton of fleet vehicles and out of all of them the Jeeps are in the shop the most. He's a die-hard car guy and is not partial to anything so I like his opinion because he'll tell it how it is doesn't matter what manufacturer it is. The way I'm trying to order up a19 comes in at about $55,000. Since I have a pretty good connection at our local Jeep dealer here in town he would do one at 47,200 getting me all incentives and kickbacks. Pretty decent deal (I think) for a Wrangler and I cannot find the one optioned up the way I want... and if I'm spending that much money im just ordering it. I know the 20's are right around the corner but I don't see anything changing much since this is such a new body.

I'm looking for really solid honest answers. Not Fanboy replies that just love Jeeps because they're Jeeps. I want to know your real honest truth opinion about reliability on the Jeep products. I'd like to hear about what problems you had that are significant? I have run my Chevy's till the wheels have fallen off and they generally have been pretty Rock Solid. Have I had to buy a transmission here and there yes but my last Chevy van had 350,000 miles on it and that particular truck had the complete original drivetrain still ran like at Timex. And I'm not exactly a Lightfoot.

I am just so on the fence with buying a Jeep product. I tried it once with an 04 Overland and I absolutely hated the truck. Worst vehicle I ever owned and I finally got Detroit to tefundvevery dime under the lemon laws. Took me 14 months of fighting though . I swore off Chrysler for life but here I am looking.... I've been so gun-shy about going back but this is about the only vehicle that will fit my needs and replace the Tahoe and light-duty I need to use the cargo van for because I also want to put a small plow on it for a couple rental properties and my work lot. (Tahoe currently has a plow)

I just have this gut feeling I'm not going to get the reliability out of this vehicle that I have my past Chevys... and if I'm going to spend $50,000 on a vehicle I'm wondering if I should look elsewhere.

So there it is. Talk me in or out of this purchase and tell me why? Thanks for honest opinions guys I really appreciate it

·
Registered
886 Posts
Get it.

(edit. Now I read your post. How much are you planning on driving annually? Mine is a daily. It's a 16 JKUR with a manual. I drive about 25K a year. No real issues. Never in the shop with 81K on it.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get it.

(edit. Now I read your post. How much are you planning on driving annually? Mine is a daily. It's a 16 JKUR with a manual. I drive about 25K a year. No real issues. Never in the shop with 81K on it.)
Daily driver for sure probably 15 to 20 K possible depending on how much I use it for work. I'm contemplating possibly leasing first with the option to buy but I don't know just yet. I could probably keep the miles below 15K and they actually have an 18000 mile lease as well but if I want to take a long trip I don't want to worry about how many miles I'm putting on the thing. But at the same time a 3 year lease lets me out if I don't like it. I've just never leased and I need to do the math on how much more that would cost me or not. What I do like is you're not paying juice on that first three years leasing it. I am in a position where I can probably just buy it outright at the end of the lease but I don't know if I can lease the exact vehicle I want by ordering or if I have to take a particular vehicle they have. Haven't got that far yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I forgot to mention the part about the dealer telling me Saturday that they cannot sell one single Wrangler on their lot due to a recall that was issued Friday. That's exactly what I want to hear when I'm about ready to order one.

Apparently there is some sort of steering issue. No specifics given but literally every single VIN on their lot could not be sold due to the recall.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Recalls are recalls. I doubt it's something major. And I wouldn't lease a Wrangler. The trade in is still good, so getting out of your purchase isn't going to hurt you. I am 3 years into my loan, owe $7K and it is still worth well over $20K with a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I initially purchased a 18 JLU Sahara. It had the steering issue as well as a frame weld issue.

My dealership bought my Sahara back (not through FCA that takes much longer than a weekend) for what I paid for it, and sold me a 18 Rubicon. Only difference is a new loan at the bank and I paid a second round of TTL cash to avoid my payment going up, the dealership ate the rest of the difference.

10K on the Rubi and not a single issue to be had.

I dont know how true this is, but my dealership told me the issues with steering do not apply to the Rubicons since different parts are used on that model than the others. The frame weld issue was limited to a smaller run of vehicles and based on the VIN the Rubicon was not in that run.

I can imagine if you are building one the frame weld issue has been resolved so it would really just be steering. If you can verify what I was told, a Rubicon should have you avoiding those issues altogether.

All that said, I love my Wrangler and wouldn't trade it for anything other than a Gladiator... but that is a few years down the road when the diesels are out and have a few years on them :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wouldn't be called a Jeep fanboy since I purchased my first one a few months ago. I too swore off Chrysler due to the worst experience in my life with a new 92 minivan. Yes, there are some various issues which I've been fortunate not to experience. Please notice the steering when you test drive - this is a truck and take it up to 70+mph speeds. Some people have had steering issues but realize this isn't a sports car so drive it and see if you like the steering.

What I like - I've been without a convertible for a few years and didn't want anything I'd have to crawl out of at my age. I like the multiple options for my soft top - sunrider, full down or safari mode. Plenty of room in the JLU and decent power. A ton of aftermarket items that will drain your pocket if you want.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I read the original post. Right off the bat - to be clear I'm Not going to talk anybody In or Out of any decision and a Fanboy of anything I will never nor have I ever been.
That said and out of the way... NO Vehicle is perfect OR completely flawed.
Vehicles at their core are simply machines made by men and machines for the purpose of conveyance plain and simple.

The choice of a Jeep and further - a Wrangler is a choice born of differing and varying reasons unique to the individual. Yes, they still are just vehicles BUT arguably a Wrangler (to some ) is more than just that and for that reason No Person can or should attempt to convince anyone even someone that asks to be - convinced that the Wrangler is more than what it is.

I have had the pleasure of owning many many vehicles. I've owned many Wranglers, it's what I drive now.. I choose to do so.
I have had great experiences with a dozen Wranglers.

Somebody's "next" Wrangler (including me) could be a total nightmare but so could (fill in the blank).

It is a machine. It comes with a warranty. There are remedies IF it is less than expected. It's not very imortant in the grand scheme of things.

Get it. Enjoy it. Don't get it and wonder "what if" Choice is yours.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Chrysler seems to be the worst of the big 3. After owning and driving many vehicles for 40 years I wanted to own a Jeep to see what the big fuss was about. I love my Jeep, do all my own routine maintenance, drive it very little (I have a car as well), modded the hell out of it (to me modding is a hobby so in that respect the jeep fits the bill quite well). Haven’t had any problems (only 22K miles) and hoping to keep it 10 to 15 more years, but that’s uncertain as Chrysler has a horrible spare parts reputation. I enjoy camping and hiking and the Jeep gets me to great spots without people to ruin the scenery. It’s my last Jeep and first and last Chrysler vehicle. Thinking about buying a Cadillac to replace my Audi.

·
Super Moderator
23,239 Posts
I love my wrangler recon but I would never ever recommend someone but a FCA product (I have owned 4 wranglers 2013, 2014, 2016 and now my 2018) and have been relatively lucky as far as warranty work goes. my next vehicle will not be a jeep.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
You're not going to get 350,000 miles out of a Jeep (most likely), but you'll also not get 300,000 smiles out of a chrysler minivan or any van (but you will your Jeep when it bites.

Leasing is a bad idea

A wrangler is not a vehicle like every other.. Have you driven one yet? I mean really driven one? Let's talk about that...

I don't know of another vehicle rented and taken offroad as much as a Jeep wrangler.. Their is a reason they are in the shop. It's not because of a badge that was 3D printed bearing the name JEEP. Its because they were beat on and returned wet.. Proof in point; My Jeep is under a build right now (I'll tell you more about that) So I rented one with my son this past weekend to keep a ride in a Jeep on fathers day tradition going.. I was told when I showed up that I needed to place a $1000 deposit down that would be returned after it comes back with no damage. When I asked about the $1000, I was told,"people come in from out of town and take them off-roading than return them all tore up." Immediately I thought, "damn!" Now I can't take it off-roading with my son.."lol That said, go rent a Sport for a weekend and see if you love it and go from there..

Okay, Let me bring this home: I had a budget of 25k (or more if I financed some) two months ago. I was looking at the JLU's and building one out was going to get me a nice rubicon. But then I'm driving a stockish Rubicon(that I just spent more for then I wanted too) around for a few years because I wouldn't budget more for a build. So I looked at used.. I found a spotless JKU RHR with very low miles for 33k. I financed 20K paid cash for the rest and decided to build right away.. 50K later I'm going to have a bad ass JKURHR with low miles and 300,000 smiles not counting those that enjoy my Jeep.

You only live once and if it's not going to hurt you or anyone else point in a safe direction and pull the trigger... you might just hit the place you been staring at for way too long.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I love my wrangler recon but I would never ever recommend someone but a FCA product (I have owned 4 wranglers 2013, 2014, 2016 and now my 2018) and have been relatively lucky as far as warranty work goes. my next vehicle will not be a jeep.

:jawdrop:

·
Super Moderator
23,239 Posts
oh I would never lease one. add up what you will pay during the lease period then add that to the buy out and YIKES.

Reactions: jayjc08 and FLEX B

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
55,308 Posts
^^^X2..My next vehicle will not be a Jeep either.....

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
oh I would never lease one. add up what you will pay during the lease period then add that to the buy out and YIKES.

What is happening here?? What did I miss? If not a Jeep than what? Are you keeping your Jeeps and purchasing something else for other reasons? Will you still be off-roading?

·
Registered
49 Posts

Me either.

When you have members of a forum for a specific vehicle telling you, "look, no vehicle is perfect..." you should be wary. The Wrangler is a deeply flawed vehicle. In some ways, you'll fall in love with it because it is.

I love the looks, the way there is nothing else on the road like it... So few vehicles have any "character" or "soul" today. If you love modifying your vehicle and making it uniquely your own, there are few vehicles that will satisfy you so well.

However, and this is anecdotal, but I hear these same comments reverberate through other owners and forum users: Chrysler's lack of quality has really turned a lot of people off. And in the case of your potential Jeep, when they start asking more than $50,000, it starts to seem absurd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
With that said, and I'm not trying to sound all doom and gloom, but maybe your reasons for buying a Wrangler align with mine:

-Excellent resale value, meaning that buying may make more sense to you than leasing.
-Great in snow.
-Easy to modify. If you want to stay stock, stock replacement parts are also cheaper for this same reason as others take stock parts off their Jeeps.

-Decent fuel economy and power. I average 21mpg in a very hilly area.
-If you want a vehicle with roll up windows, A/C, a manual transmission, cruise control, and only those options... Welp, I think the Wrangler is it :)
-A GREAT community.
-The Jeepwave!

·
Super Moderator
23,239 Posts
What is happening here?? What did I miss? If not a Jeep than what? Are you keeping your Jeeps and purchasing something else for other reasons? Will you still be off-roading?
I have done many of my bucket list jeep trails ie the rubicon trail, dusy ershim, Colorado trails a couple of times, Moab many times including again next week. I like all different kinds of vehicles and been jonsing for a ZR2 or ranger Raptor is supposed to come out next year. Heck who knows. I love my Rubicon Recon no doubt about it but I also am not married to it.

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
55,308 Posts
I have the ZR2 in my sights, but not sure yet. My Son-in-Law has a 2019 ZR2. What I have seen of it, I really like. But I am going to drive it some more first.

I have owned Jeeps off and on since the 70's. They have never left me stranded. As for the new JL's, well let's just say that the verdict is still out. I think in my case, it is time for a change.......

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I have done many of my bucket list jeep trails ie the rubicon trail, dusy ershim, Colorado trails a couple of times, Moab many times including again next week. I like all different kinds of vehicles and been jonsing for a ZR2 or ranger Raptor is supposed to come out next year. Heck who knows. I love my Rubicon Recon no doubt about it but I also am not married to it.
I have the ZR2 in my sights, but not sure yet. My Son-in-Law has a 2019 ZR2. What I have seen of it, I really like. But I am going to drive it some more first.

I have owned Jeeps off and on since the 70's. They have never left me stranded. As for the new JL's, well let's just say that the verdict is still out. I think in my case, it is time for a change.......

I've ventured away from Jeeps from time to time and I to appreciate other vehicles.. The only two vehicles I've missed were Jeeps and Audi's (also AWD). Heck I've had some great vehicles in my life, but nothing has ever given me the memories or smiles a Jeep has(as far as vehicles go).

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.