Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating Wrangler for my next car for the last year or so. Did my research, and today I test drove a JKU Rubicon Hard Rock with a manual.
I currently drive a fully loaded and slightly modified Chevrolet Avalanche, it definitely does not have the Jeeps off-road ability, but it is a very comfortable cruiser on long road trips and have gotten me most anywhere I needed to go off the beaten pass. Here is the thing: I live in an urban, well paved area, with little to no work commute (it's 5 miles on my bicycle). I do get my ass out to the mountains a lot, but, let's face it, most of the road there is highway miles. If I were to buy a Jeep, i would definitely off road it once in a while, but the question still remains: how is it to live with as a daily driver?
Certain things that appeal to me in a Jeep, that have nothing to do with its off-road credentials are: 1. Simplicity 2. Good amount of storage space, enough for me to sleep in at a trail head with the back seats folded 3. Manual transmission (!!!)
Any advice? Anyone wants to tell me that I am one of those poser dudes that will drive his Rubicon from my local Whole Foods and back? Hurry! I am about to pull the plug and buy one ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have owned my 2015 JKUR for two months now. I have never owned a jeep before and this is my only vehicle. and so it is used as a daily driver.

From my initial test drive to now I have been trying to relate to the concerns regarding how uncomfortable the JKUR is as a daily driver but I have not been able to. With a 45min drive to work each day I'm enjoying the ride.

I have the leather seats so maybe those complaints were about the jeeps with cloth seats.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Coming here asking for someone to talk you out of buying a jeep is like trying to hold an AA meeting in a barroom.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Everyone should own at least one Wrangler in their lifetime. So, I guess I'm trying to talk you out of being talked out of getting one. My JKU rides nicer than almost any car from the 90s, so they've come a long way! I've driven mine almost clear across the country, and fatigue was never an issue. I think the manual transmission is what will be the biggest challenge as a daily driver, depending on your traffic.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
How about security? With all panels on, is it common to see people stealing doors, bumper pieces, etc?
I've never had my Jeep stolen or broken into. Security is only an issue if you live or park in a crappy area. Hardtop gives slightly more security, but I run Safari nets in the rear and that provides plenty of security since I just sold my HT today. There a lot of negatives about a Jeep, but so many positives. No other vehicle like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do it. You know you want to :D

Seriously though. It's a great daily driver. No complaints here. Plus owning a jeep may inspire you to go places and see things you never would have done before. As for being considered a poser who really cares. You will have a much better looking and capable vehicle than the avalanche. no offence of course :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do it. You know you want to :D

Seriously though. It's a great daily driver. No complaints here. Plus owning a jeep may inspire you to go places and see things you never would have done before. As for being considered a poser who really cares. You will have a much better looking and capable vehicle than the avalanche. no offence of course :)
This is an excellent point... The avalanche did that to me way back when I got it... but the truck ownership slowly morphed into hauling around heavy shit for all my friends and family.

·
Registered
60 Posts
save up and pay cash! you will enjoy your jeep much more.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
My 14' JKUR is my first Jeep ever after decades of Toyota 4x4s (trucks and runners). It's not supposed to be my DD but it has turned into it just out of simple fun. Will just give you my take so far after about eight months and 6500 miles or so.

If you're worried about security, then I think it's best you just need to get over that if you're going to have a Jeep. Top should be off at a minimum to get the whole "fun" out of it. Doors too if you can get away with it. Don't leave stuff in them, they're not extra storage like other vehicles. Just a perspective change is needed. If crime is particularly bad, especially so. If the tops/doors coming off is not a large part of the allure, then I'd strongly consider other options because unless you're not going to do some kind of real crawling, other vehicles do just fine with other positive attributes.

As far as daily driver goes, I'll never have another manual transmission in my life, especially with traffic (yay CA traffic). I'm just done with it unless it's my next track car. That's personal preference though and if you don't have heavy traffic, meh. I still think that the newer autos do better on trails unless the driver is VERY experienced. That seems to be a cool thing for you though so more power to ya.

Highway miles, mine is very comfortable. Gas mileage is atrocious. I have no idea how people are getting some of the mileage they are. Doing the math at the pump, I'm getting 15.4 or so the last 10 tanks or so. If I drove slower than I do in Cen/So Ca I'd cause accidents so that might be it. They may be driving REALLY slow, I don't know. My experience is 15-16 is about normal unless I can stay 60-65 (like on 14/395) on the way to trails. Now, I don't really care about spending more money on the gas, what I do care about is range and that being a pita consideration right now. Extra cans will help but I need to actually do something to accommodate that extra fuel. Frankly I'd rather they just added another 5-6 gallons on the tank.

The aftermarket support and community is pretty great. That's a bigger deal than I think most non-jeepers understand until after the fact. I sure didn't. Toyota community is fantastic as well but the parts are not nearly as easy (and varied) to come by.

There's still some things I miss about the Toys (MPG!) but I think that's mostly confidence and thorough knowledge of them. Another 100k miles and some sketchy situations in Jeeps and I'm sure that will fade.

As long as they hold up, I'm a convert and I'll likely be first in line for a diesel if they spread that motor around.

So to convince you not to buy, here's my take; don't buy one (if you don't want to love em). :p

Hope that was helpful. I think I'm fairly objective still but definitely starting to lose that. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is an excellent point... The avalanche did that to me way back when I got it... but the truck ownership slowly morphed into hauling around heavy shit for all my friends and family.
The downside is you may end up hauling around friends and family to see some heavy shit. Just saying. Lol.

I just did 10 hours of driving on Thursday. 5 there and 5 back. Was quite comfortable. Had the tunes blaring and enjoyed some jeep time. I can only imagine the 4 door would ride even nicer. I was seriously surprised at how comfortable the seats were.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I traded a '13 F150 XLT Scab 4x4 for my Jeep and love it. But it's what I wanted for various reasons. At the end of the day, as with all major purchases in life, if it doesn't feel right don't do it.
If you do buy it. Find a local club. Do some trail riding. Travel the country and meet up with fellow WF members and see America from the trail, the way few people get to see it.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
OK, If you must ... It's really quite simple just run a couple of quick searches and read a few of the threads on:

1. Death Wobble (DW)
2. Fuel Economy
3. Pentastar Engine Head
4. Problems after Lift
5. Dealer Issues
6. Warranty Issues

If you are still not convinced do one more search for: Empty wallet, too expensive, low budget, wife is mad, etc :D

On the other hand if you want to convince yourself to buy it just search for two words:
Fun & Love :thumb:

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
OK, If you must ... It's really quite simple just run a couple of quick searches and read a few of the threads on: 1. Death Wobble (DW) 2. Fuel Economy 3. Pentastar Engine Head 4. Problems after Lift 5. Dealer Issues 6. Warranty Issues If you are still not convinced do one more search for: Empty wallet, too expensive, low budget, wife is mad, etc :D On the other hand if you want to convince yourself to buy it just search for two words: Fun & Love :thumb: Good luck with your decision.
Fewww.

Spinlock doesn't play around.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
OK, If you must ... It's really quite simple just run a couple of quick searches and read a few of the threads on:

1. Death Wobble (DW)
2. Fuel Economy
3. Pentastar Engine Head
4. Problems after Lift
5. Dealer Issues
6. Warranty Issues

If you are still not convinced do one more search for: Empty wallet, too expensive, low budget, wife is mad, etc :D

On the other hand if you want to convince yourself to buy it just search for two words:
Fun & Love :thumb:

Good luck with your decision.
You left out a few--
1. poor road manners
2. Ridiculously low towing capacity
3. Poor quality controls
4. 50- 50 chance of leaks
5. 50-50 chance of manual transmission noise, rattle or other related issues.
6. comfort compared to a full sized truck on long trips.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you don't want to drive an American Icon, ....uh ummm... excuse me, a World Wide Icon, then I wouldn't buy one.
If you don't want other Jeepers waving at you, don't buy one.
If you want to lose sleep at night thinking about a Jeep, don't buy one.
If you don't enjoy going topless, don't buy one.
If you like a nice bank account, don't buy one.
If you like being in the "norm" crowd, don't buy one.
Whew.....I tried to talk you out of it. Don't blame me. :tomatoes::happyyes:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If you have OCD, you might not want to own one, good thing my meds are working j/k ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts