Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is interested in buying a 2013 Jeep. He's a retired high school teacher and currently and teaches part time at a local community college. He probably puts about 50-100 miles per week on his daily driver.

His current daily driver is an 06 Mustang GT. He bought it brand new in 06 when he retired after 30 years of teaching. He treated himself to the Mustang as a retirement gift and at 6 years old it only has 18,000 original miles. He also has the all original 69 Mach 1 that he bought brand new when he returned from Vietnam. His Mach 1 only has 58,000 original miles.

We have a family home in the Pocono mountains of PA and the 06 Mustang is great to drive up there in the summer but obviously not great in winter. I have a 94 Wrangler as my daily driver and my dad really likes it. So he has decided to trade the 06 Mustang in on a new Jeep.

Yesterday we went to a local dealership and looked at a 2013 4 door Wrangler Sport with the 3.5 6cyl and a 6 speed manual trans. My dad really liked it but the exact model he wanted was only available in Gecko green and sorry my 70 year old dad isn't rocking a Gecko green Jeep. He prefers the blue or maroon colors.

My dad will NOT be buying an automatic Jeep. He's old school like me and only drives manual trans vehicles. The Jeep he test drove had the 6 speed and a 3:73 rear. In 6th gear the RPM's still seemed a bit high to me...is this common? I was imagining a ride up to the Poconos with that Jeep in 6th gear and the R's at say 3000RPM and thinking it would be drinking fuel. I know that 3:21's are an option and was wondering what the trade off would be in acceleration vs fual mileage between the 2 gear ratio's.

Other than that he really liked the Jeep and I think that the only reason he didn't bring it home was based on the color.

So what I'm asking is for overall opinions/feedback on 2013 Jeep owners. What's good or bad about your new Jeep?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do it thread over :)
X100000

My commute doesn't allow me to spend any time in 6th gear. My Wrangler has the 3.73. At 40 mph in 5th gear IIRC my Wrangler is right around 2K rpm or a little higher ... 4th gear would bump it up to around 2500 I think.

The tach has that GREEN zone which is the ECO (economy) region and I try to keep the rpms in that region of the tach ...

Good luck, hope your dad gets his Wrangler!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have your dad order so he can get exactly what he wants. It only takes about a month from order to delivery. I see we're in the same market (I'm in DE) and I think most of them come direct by truck around here which cuts shipping time.

I strongly recommend the 3.73 with the manual. I drove both ratios before I bought mine and found the 3.21 more difficult to drive and had no power when cruising (any acceleration while cruising requires a downshift). Have him drive both to see which he prefers though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have your dad order so he can get exactly what he wants. It only takes about a month from order to delivery. I see we're in the same market (I'm in DE) and I think most of them come direct by truck around here which cuts shipping time.

I strongly recommend the 3.73 with the manual. I drove both ratios before I bought mine and found the 3.21 more difficult to drive and had no power when cruising (any acceleration while cruising requires a downshift). Have him drive both to see which he prefers though.
That's probably what he's going to do. We were working on the custom order form. He wants the stick as well as the locking rear differential. He also likes the Sport model but was interested in upgrading to a larger set of tires to give it a more aggressive look.

They priced his Jeep out at about 28K and offered him $15K for his Mustang. He feels like his Mustang is worth a little more than $15 because it's clean, always dealer serviced, and has super low miles. The salesmans manager came over to play the game as far as "what can I do to put you in this Jeep today" but my dad simply wasn't buying a Gecko green.

So is it my understanding that everyone who has a 2013 Wrangler really likes it? Any issues after owning one for a while?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was imagining a ride up to the Poconos with that Jeep in 6th gear and the R's at say 3000RPM and thinking it would be drinking fuel. I know that 3:21's are an option and was wondering what the trade off would be in acceleration vs fual mileage between the 2 gear ratio's.

I think your estimate is high. I have 4.10 in my Jeep and on the big roads at 70-75 MPH it turns about 2300-2400 on the tach. Granted, mine's a 2 door but I can't imagine the difference being that much to push the little bit of added weight, especially dropping the rear end to a 3.73.

If I push it up to 80 then I can tell it's not real comfortable running in that range. About 73-74 mph is the 6th gear sweet spot for me. If you plan on moving faster on the highway then maybe you have a concern, but Jeeps aren't really made for speed anyway.

Good luck, and he'll enjoy that Jeep once he pulls the trigger.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like mine and would buy another in a second. The only issue I've had so far is a drivers side heated seat that doesn't work (new seat grid on order). I think my throw out bearing is starting to make some noise which apparently is a fairly common problem. If I have the radio and HVAC off, I can hear a slight rumble with the clutch pedal down. Kind of surprising since I only have 1K miles on it and am anal about NOT being on the clutch pedal unless I'm shifting. I never hold it in at lights etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
...I was imagining a ride up to the Poconos with that Jeep in 6th gear and the R's at say 3000RPM...
:eek: I don't think the Jeep would make it to that speed or let alone stay in one piece! That is beyond ludicrous speed and he may just go plaid at that RPM.

The stick is better suited to the 3.73's and I have gotten nothing less than 19-20mpg in my driving around this hilly rural area. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
The RPMs are not high in 6th. You're just used to your jeep, which has a different engine and a powerband with lower RPMs. The current 3.6 is comfortable at much higher RPMs than what you're used to.

That said, he won't come anywhere close to 3k RPMs in 6th gear. He should get the 3.73s and it'll be great. Under no circumstances should you deliberately get 3.21s.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So what I'm asking is for overall opinions/feedback on 2013 Jeep owners. What's good or bad about your new Jeep?
I'm a total Jeep newbie with a '13 Sport S and have 1500 miles so far:

+'s:
- Performance is really pretty good. I was worried at first. Mine is Auto with 3.73 and it's far from gutless. (my other cars are a G8 and TT Supra).
- It's really fun to drive once you get used to the choppy characteristic of a small wheelbase solid axle vehicle.
- Interior is quieter then I thought
- My MPG is around 19 averaged over 1500 miles.
- Good seats and reasonable interior layout.
- Overall build quality is pretty good. (no problems yet)

-'s:
- The sheet metal is only one gauge thicker then aluminum foil. It's really flimsy.
- The rear wiper takes up nearly 1/4 of the rear window. Couldn't they design a smaller rear wiper system??
- Whenever I rest my hand on the gear shift I accidently enter downshift/manual mode. (operator error is probably the issue here)
- The lowest setting of the fan is still too high
- Why couldn't they add automatic headlights to the Sport S. This is ancient technology that should be standard.
- Nav should have been an option on Sport S. Does Jeep really think buyers will upgrade to Sahara or Rubicon just for the Nav radio option package??
- The doors really need to be slammed to close properly

Most of my -'s are nitpicking. The +'s overwhelm them.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Auto headlights can be added to the sport with a procal.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yup, sorry. Daytime not auto.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm a total Jeep newbie with a '13 Sport S and have 1500 miles so far:

+'s:
- Performance is really pretty good. I was worried at first. Mine is Auto with 3.73 and it's far from gutless. (my other cars are a G8 and TT Supra).
- It's really fun to drive once you get used to the choppy characteristic of a small wheelbase solid axle vehicle.
- Interior is quieter then I thought
- My MPG is around 19 averaged over 1500 miles.
- Good seats and reasonable interior layout.
- Overall build quality is pretty good. (no problems yet)

-'s:
- The sheet metal is only one gauge thicker then aluminum foil. It's really flimsy.
- The rear wiper takes up nearly 1/4 of the rear window. Couldn't they design a smaller rear wiper system??
- Whenever I rest my hand on the gear shift I accidently enter downshift/manual mode. (operator error is probably the issue here)
- The lowest setting of the fan is still too high
- Why couldn't they add automatic headlights to the Sport S. This is ancient technology that should be standard.
- Nav should have been an option on Sport S. Does Jeep really think buyers will upgrade to Sahara or Rubicon just for the Nav radio option package??
- The doors really need to be slammed to close properly

Most of my -'s are nitpicking. The +'s overwhelm them.
Good post here. I too am a noob. Don't even have 400 miles on my 2013 JK Sport.

I think Dave hit some good cons, the rear window wiper system struck me as odd too. :) It's a one armed wart that spits. :rofl:

Mine is a manual. I'm still breaking it in, not really getting on it too hard. I have wondered a couple times if our 2012 GC (automatic) accelerates faster than my new Wrangler.

Some of the creature comforts Dave mentioned I wondered about and then quickly dismissed in my mind with the "it's a JEEP!" thought. Auto headlights would be nice though. Nav system perhaps, though that is one I would have passed on. My $100 Garmin is fine in that regard. I'm ok with the fact that our GC Laredo has more comfort options than my Wrangler. To me that is as it should be I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts