Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Did you
So, sadly, I did the TJ tango with a near-sighted cow elk a few weeks back. She was a hefty lass with all left feet and the dalliance ended poorly for us both. Grateful I didn't roll or collide with another vehicle, but she spun me hard 180 and I drifted side-ways into a guard rail. Front end is banged up real good. Haven't filed a claimed yet but expect they'll probably total her out. Breaks my heart. Loved this jeep.

Amazingly, I was able to drive her home (the jeep, not the elk) after another driver was gracious enough to help me move the fair lady from the site of our brief but memorable encounter, may she RIP. Besides, no need for another driver to attempt an encore performance. Her dancing days were over. My TJ had no fluid leaks and my tires didn't blow, though the alignment was way off. I took it easy and made it home without incident. I later discovered the lower front control arm bracket is bent.

Sooo, been noodling over what to do between sobs and sniffles. If I had a garage, I'd probably start tearing her down to do a rebuild. I HATE the idea of sending this vehicle to a salvage yard. Prior to this, she was in great shape. Regularly had folks ask if I was interested in selling. (My answer was a quick and emphatic, "Nope.") A 2003, with only 115K. I use it as a daily driver, so no off-roading either. (I know, I know...)

So, gents (& ladies)... thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for reading &/or commiserating!

All the best,
TravelLite

...2003 Sport 4.0 Manual...

View attachment 4524492

View attachment 4524493

View attachment 4524494

View attachment 4524495

What's not shown... the hood is dented/bent pretty well, grill is bent/shifted (though it looks straight from the front), and the passenger side of the tub is pushed in a bit, particularly over the rear wheel. Odd, but the passenger side door seems okay.
Did you at LEAST get to keep the Elk? Here in NM it's a small fee and you get to at least use the meat.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ha! Great question!

I found out later that I could have done so. You have to get a permit after-the-fact, but no big deal. I wasn’t in the frame of mind to think about all that, but I would have gladly called some friends with my location & told them to bring their gear to field dress it. Hopefully it never happens again, but I’ll be better prepared if it does!
I'm a firm believer that the best way to hunt here in New Mexico is an old F150. I just saw a 5 point buck walking accross the street as I turned into my housing tract.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just my 2 cents,
#1 Use Facebook, Craigslist or whatever to try and find peeps that upgraded and held onto OEM lower and upper control arms. Replace both the lower and upper control arms which should be fairly inexpensive.
#2 Find a shop that does 4 wheel alignments and take it in for them to try an align it (looking for frame bent or damaged)
#3 Take it to a body shop or three and get proposal/estimates on getting it fixed.

Once you have done the above you may find you can do some of the work yourself and pay someone else for body work. BUT if you could drive it home it may be worth fixing.
Junk jards, all their invenroty is now computer based, they will know within 5 mins if they have the parts, and they will be a lot less expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts