Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 89 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl 4.2 in line with automatic transmition but there's a metal taping sound coming out from engine exactly between engine and transmition.
any idea what is it? can it be transmition oil pump?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Depends. Is it a constant sound? There is a lot of stuff on the bottom end that can cause tapping. Bearings, crankshaft, rod. I had a tapping that would get worse when the motor hit mid range RPM's. I had bad connecting rods. I wound up swapping the engine out. Had the transmission rebuilt while I had the whole thing apart and now it runs great...

·
Registered
128 Posts
If it's a lighter metallic tap it could be a torque converter bolt coming loose, and hitting on the inside of the heat shield mounted to the front of the transmission. The geography: behind the oil pan is a sheetmetal dust cover on the front of the transmission. Inside that is a flex plate bolted to the end of the crankshaft. It has teeth on it for the strarter to engage, around the edge. Bolted to that - on the transmission side - is the torque converter for the auto trans. Usually there are four bolts on the converter and if one backs out it can make noise as it scrapes or taps against the inside of the dust cover. One thing about this particular problem is that it'll change pace in direct proportion to engine RPM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts